• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Redneck Seat Repair

CapKrk

I took my driver side seat over to the local upholstery guy a couple weeks ago. He took my name and number and told me he was a bit busy but it would take no more than a week. He was going to charge me $75 to add sponge and repair with something close. (This M1009 only had 18k on it when I got it but a lot of in and out of the vehicle since the scuff plates were destroyed and the floor board was bare metal).

So I went by a couple hours ago to see the progress of my seat and he hadn't even thought about starting it. It was in a corner of his shop. I was pissed and told him a phone call would have been nice. He said "why? I had no information for you".

I threw the seat in the truck and decided to do it myself.

1. Get shop rags that momma doesn't care about. (ooh...flashback of the time I put some valve covers in the dish washer.)

2. Stuff shop rags in holes that fat NCOIC's left with their forth point of contact.

3. Here is where the big repair expense is. Get good 100 mile an hour tape. Not that Chinese harbor freight crap. Get gorilla tape. That stuff is about as thick as the original seat cover. You will pay about 10 bucks for 35 yards. With the left over you can fix the dog kennel so the Malinois doesn't get into your work space. Dumb dog.

4. Buy $35 (shipped) seat covers off of ebay. Hey...we are still ahead 30 bucks from what vato at the upholstery shop was gonna charge.

5. Put that $30 you saved and $50 more and buy a Smitty seat cover. I would buy this thing for the pouches alone. It comes with seven molle type pouches and even has a pouch for your hydration bladder. Sweet. Added ACU mag pouches are 4 or 5 bucks at uncle sam's retail.

The Smitty cover ended up a little big and I haven't figured out whether I'm going to add one of those foam things all grey haired Floridians ride around with or what. But total cost on this redneck job was $10 for gorilla tape, $35 for the pleather seat covers, and $80 for the smitty cover for a total of $125.

Attachments

stationjj

Another idea is memory foam from Amazon. $19.99 for 34X76X1.

It's not the best memory foam you can buy, but for $20. It works well on my seats
I had enough for full driver and passenger seat, and the seat on the rear bench.

stationjj

CapKrk

Great Idea Station...

Deuces...not sure about the "sack" up front either but I need some place to keep my "5 hour energy" handy for the trips from Houston to Camp Bowie. ha

CapKrk

Just don't put anything too heavy in it. I can picture going over a bump and that thing flipping around and well you'll get Sacked! ha ha Ouch!
Lol...that is what happened when I put my valve covers in the dishwasher.:?

Thanks for sharing Station....I have a full set of seats out of a 2005 Trail Blazer. But...I am too lazy to fab any brackets for them so will end up selling them.

Next project while the seats are out....SPRAY ON BLACK TRUCK BED LINER KIT from spray-lining.com

$118 to the door.