• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1009 Replaced the starter now won't shift

Alpha

I just replaced the starter in my m1009 with a gear reduction starter. it starts up real nice but it won't shift out of first now any ideas?
thanks

Ken_86gt

I don't see any reason why the starter has anything to do with the shifting of the transmission?

I would troubleshoot the vacuum system first, any hoses pop off or leaks?

Alpha

nothing that seemed out of place i will take a look in the morning ( when there is light available), it sat a couple of weeks while waiting to acquire the starter then the bracket. but that is all that i have done to it...
thanks for the reply!

2deuce

Check the vacuum hose where it connects at the transmission. If it got pulled off when you were under there with the starter, the transmission won't shift.

Alpha

Check the vacuum hose where it connects at the transmission. If it got pulled off when you were under there with the starter, the transmission won't shift.
climbed underneath and looked the hose is still connected to the brass colored thing (modulator i think) is there another spot it where it should be connected?

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pull the modulator out & use an Hand vacuum pump on it to see if it move if not replace it & get an fully adjustable one.
But it sound like some thing Moore than Vacuum how is the trans fluid look & smell.
Had some times an Th 400 govern stick or will have an effect on shift to.
If you Have time PM me & I give you my Ph number I talk you through to what is going on to
trouble shoot it.
Chris

Ken_86gt

It should shift to second gear if push the pedal down, when the engine starts screaming, then it should shift to second even with a problem with the vacuum system. If it does not shift to second then you may have internal transmission issues.

Alpha

Thanks for the Info!:beer:
the tranny fluid looks good, and it will do the hard acceleration shift. I just had not been willing to push it that hard:shock:. I have bought a new modulator to put in, and will see if that solves it.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have checked the connection at the transmission and it will shift during acceleration, you need to check the vaccum hoses on top of the engine and on the Vacuum Valve on the injector pump.

The Tech Manual Troubleshooting section covers how to do this as well as many posts.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks