• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1009 roof rack, what do you guys think

SO I won a blazer and am awaiting its delivery, not patiently by the way. I have been filling my time with what I want to do to it. So far I have purchased the parts for the doghead starter relay mod. I plan on checking out all the electrical grounds and hoses and belts asap. The guy that recovered it for me from SS told me it cranks up strong and runs just fine. Does have rust on the bottom but I think I will tackle that at the on base auto shop or maybe a professional job locally here in oceanside.

But heres a question and yes I have already searched using google and ss. What is the size of the roof? Length and width, I need to get an idea as im planning on buying a roof rack and modding it to mount into the antenna mounts. heres what im thinking of as a platform: WP Warrior Products Warrior Products Universal Roof Rack - JCWhitney

here are a few pics of my truck as it is, I plan on painting it green and adding a flattener. http://i922.photobucket.com/albums/ad68/HarrisonTactical/blazer1.jpg
http://i922.photobucket.com/albums/ad68/HarrisonTactical/blazer2.jpg

jimm1009

Off topic but for your new-to-you M1009.

These vehicles are built to DOT standards but are EPA exempt so when they want to Smog you tell them no thanks and show them the sticker on the radiator support that says "EPA Exempt".
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Make sure you post pics when you get it installed.
I have had mine for 17 years but have recently been thinking about a roof rack for those long trips.

jimm1009

Dolphin shooter,

I really only need a good quality rack to start with as there pretty generic. But my father in law own a pretty big metal fabrication company here in southern ca, so I planned on making some mounts. I had actually though something like what you have pictured there. I cant tell to much from the pictures but it looks like it bolts together? I like the idea of using the antenna mounts, same thought here.

But if I can buy something nice and solid for a good price I dont have to engineer something. When do you plan on getting these out on the market? Where are you making them, the reason I ask is that shipping cross country on a roof rack can get you for some good money. I like that opensource survival place, some fun reading and good info.

Thanks for the help!

These are not in production yet, still playing with prototypes... they will not be that cheap. I really did'nt see a way to mount those other racks
Resilient Vehicles*|*Open Source Survival

Dolphin_Shooter

Dolphin shooter,

I really only need a good quality rack to start with as there pretty generic. But my father in law own a pretty big metal fabrication company here in southern ca, so I planned on making some mounts. I had actually though something like what you have pictured there. I cant tell to much from the pictures but it looks like it bolts together? I like the idea of using the antenna mounts, same thought here.

But if I can buy something nice and solid for a good price I dont have to engineer something. When do you plan on getting these out on the market? Where are you making them, the reason I ask is that shipping cross country on a roof rack can get you for some good money. I like that opensource survival place, some fun reading and good info.

Thanks for the help!
sounds like your all set with the fab company they can fix you up with little effort.The guy who owns Opensource survival lives just down the road from me he bought the first CUCV Im buying mine with my soon to arrive tax return. I love that emissions exempt part It tickles my butt cheeks to know I'll be choaking some green weenie in a eco car with my raw diesel emissions.And doing my part in anoying Al Gore

Last edited:
Stoney,

That looks real good, I like it. I think what im going to shoot for is the same kind rack, but a bit longer and extend it over the cab maybe. But I want to mount it up on an adapter using the antenna mounts. That way I could remove the cap and still have the rack. Mainly because I live in southern california and the weather is so darn good here.

But how solid would you say the garvin wilderness rack is?

TXM,

I have the same issue, just antenna holes in the rear. But I figure ill check it out when I get it, thinking maybe some sort of nutsert. When I put an X brace on my bmw i had to put a few in and they worked pretty darn good.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the rack, Cool Mod looks like a range rover rack. I also like this one pictured as a direct replacement. I would give a Grand for that one. Looks sturdy and is not roof supported.

Attachments

just look up a local metal fabrication shop near you. Call them up and run it by, im sure they can fab up some arms similar to what has been posted. they could surely weld the antenna mount to an arm of some sort and then weld or bolt that to your existing rack, should be an easy day. Than repaint or pwerdercoat or whatever you want.

mine has the same dent in the roof. I have a rack a buddy of mine made for me. I am still pondering how to mount it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks