• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Running troubles

daniel.7575

Hi there everyone,

My name Is Daniel and I am based in the UK, I have just bought an M1009 Blazer and seem to be having a few problems with it. I have searched through the forums and found some very usefull info but nothing specific to my problem, hopefully some good advice will sort me out.

I bought the truck about a month ago and she ran really well, had been used regularly and so got me home 170 miles no worries. Ran it around a couple of weeks then started to notice a distinct lack of drive. Checked the transmission fluid which was a little low so topped it up but did not help, slowly seemed to get worse, so changed the vacum pipes running to the gizmo under the aircleaner that regulates the shift pattern after reading that on the forum, no change, have now got a filter and trans fluid to do a service but she now seems to have a fueling issue too.
When I picked it up I had trouble getting fuel into the fuel tank, it would take so much then start to back up the filler neck and circulate round the breather too, no she runs fine for a few miles then seems to starve of fue throttle response is slow. Shut her off and start again and throttle response is good again for a few mins.... fuel tank seems to vacum as it sucks when i open the filler but running with the cap loose does not help.
Basically need a bit of advise please!!

Thanks,

Daniel.7575

M1009 Blazer
M54a2 Cargo on 1400x20's
M817 dumper (rescued from quarry)
M715
M38-MC X3
MB willys
Dodge Carryall
Dodge weaponscarrier

tymbom

The fuel problem might be clogged fuel filters. I would try that too. Did the previous owner say anything about it not running right before you bought it??

acetomatoco

Change fuel filter and pressure check lines back to tank... there are a lot of little rubber hoses to suck air...especially down by the tank... I would disconnect output side of the mechanical pump and check output volume and pressure while cranking.

daniel.7575

The previous owner said nothing about any running problems.... but then he was trying to sell the truck! Gonna give the filters a try first I think, then drop the tank if not and check lines etc at same time, bought a new fuel lift pump on the off chance so might come in handy. Thanks for the advice guys will put some pics of my stuff on when I get a chance.
Oh, is there a filter in the tank? It looked like there is one in a diagram in the tm?

ida34

The problem filling the tank makes is sound like the vent line for the filler neck is crimped or clogged. If the tank does not allow air in while the fuel is pulled out you will get a vacuum in the tank and it will starve for fuel. I don't remember if the cap is a venting cap or if there is a separate vent in the tank. I would pull the tank down and check the vent.

daniel.7575

Thanks,

Just changed fuel filter and initially seemed promissing but has not cured problem... took it for a run and has same problem, struggles to pick up. Gonna check the lines next and have a look at the pump........

CCATLETT1984

if the truck starts fine, then its not the lift pump causing your issue.

Check the lines near the fuel tank, esp. the ones that run across the frame behind the cab.

If the truck does it as its warming up, try putting a few quarts of ATF (automatic transmission fluid) in the fuel tank, this will thicken the fuel some and make the truck run better if the injector pump is getting worn out. But, this wouldnt have anything to do with the vacuum issue that you are experiencing.

daniel.7575

Hi Again,

Got in touch with a guy over here who had EXACTLY the same issues with his K30... discribed the problems in detail! He checked everything and eventually found the Injector pump was the problem.

Have been advised to buy a recon stateside as noone in UK has a good rep for rebuilds?!! Got one coming from Hector With Injectors including fitting kit.
Would appreciate any tips on changing pumps over as have no done this before.

daniel.7575

Hi again.

Just to update.....

Changed the injector pump and this completely solved the problem, has covered 500 miles now without missing a beat.
I found that you can remove and refit the drive gear bolts through the oil filler by using a mirror instead of removing the radiator.
I also found that removing the pump with all lines attached was much easier than trying to undo the lines at the pump end, this left me with a quick pipe change over in the vice and straight back on! Had to change the inner wings too as they were rusted through and this made the job so much easier... I would take them off every time I need to get in there.

Thanks for the info and advice

Daniel.7575

M1009 Blazer
M54a2 Cargo on 1400x20's
M817 dumper (rescued from quarry)
M715
M38-MC X3
MB willys
Dodge Carryall
Dodge weaponscarrier

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks