• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 runs then stalls out

combatwombat16

As the title says, my M1009(Bam-Bam) is giving me a bit of trouble. I apologize ahead of time for the lengthy post, but I know diagnostics can be troubling so I want to give the surrounding story FWIW.

What happens(happened):
Bam-Bam had been running fine for a couple of months now, no major troubles to report. I just won an '08, Pebbles :-D, and had to use Bam-Bam to push it around a bit. Slapped it into 4WL and did the do. This put the M1009 to work, but it seemed like nothing really went wrong. Drove it home and all seemed well. I then was on my way to work the next morning, and had a bit of hesitation on the freeway. It seemed like if I let off just the right amount, it would hesitate a bit but kind of came back and seemed ok. Got it into work and let it sit. End of the day, got about 2 miles and it stalled out. I turned it over and it seemed to run, but a minute or two later, stalled out again. I tried to gimp it the 3 miles or so back to my house, but ended up needing to tow it home. At this point, whether hot or cold, the truck will start, run for about 30-90 seconds, and stalls out. If I try to crank it right away, it doesn't usually start back up. If I let it sit for a couple of minutes, it might catch and run for 30 more seconds, but it might not.

What I've read:
Fuel seems to be the most likely suspect. Clogged fuel filter, bad injection pump, clogged lines, etc. I've read some about an Oil Pressure Switch which is the power supply circuit for an electric lift pump. CUCV's do not utilize that setup, do they? IIRC they are all mechanical...

What I've done:
Replaced the fuel filter and bled the system. Also added about 1.5 gallons of diesel, just to be sure it wasn't something silly like an empty tank/bad fuel level reading. After replacing the fuel filter, the truck started up, but only ran for a minute or so before shutting off. What seemed like a decent supply of fuel came out of the bleeder screw at the filter, so it seems like, at least to the filter, there is a good supply of fuel.

Where to go:
I'm still working on the diagnostics and going through the system to get a solid understanding, but figured I would call in the big dogs for some ideas and possible places to look. This is a stock CUCV for the purposes of this issue. Tires have been upgraded and an alarm/sound system installed, but I am pretty confident those systems are not causing this problem.

Thoughts?

tbearatkin

Mine had those symptoms, I changed the fuel filter, checked the return valve, check the IP (pink wire removed and on yep it was clicking), had what appeared to be sufficient fuel flow from the fuel pump but I replaced the fuel pump anyway. Still had same symptoms. Mine ended up being the Injection pump needed to be replaced/rebuilt.

Last edited:

eastTXhunter

Mine did the same thing. I ended up replacing most of the entire fuel system and it still did it. Ended up being my injection pump, we are getting the new pump in this weekend hopefully.

K9Vic

I would agree it may be the IP, you can check it to see if it is bad with a simple method where you do not need to remove it and have it checked.

You will only need to remove the cover on the top of the IP and look for plastic fragments, if there are any your IP is bad. You may have to remove the high idle kick down to get the cover off. I have had my M1031 stall on me a few times over the last month and also seems to idle rough as of the last week. I checked my IP Sunday and it was OK with this method. So after changing the filter and bleeding the lines I will see how it goes. Next step is to change the return lines with Tygon 5/32 and maybe injectors.

The attached picture is an example of eastTXhunter IP being bad when I checked it, we will be replacing it this Saturday.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks