• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 rusted tailgate hinge

Ckrebello

Hi everyone, I recently picked up a M1009 and the rail that the tailgate hinges attach to is badly rusted. The left hinge is completely disconnected. Is that rail replaceable? Is there a replacement parts available or so I have to find someone to fabricate the part?

cucvrus

That rear floor rail is replaceable/repairable. That is a lot of work. It is fairly easy work. I replaced 1 in an M1009 that was my own. It was poorly supported and the rear gate was sagging. I used a lot of 12 gauge galvaneal and formed it. That was back in 2009 and I never had the same issue again. It was not as original. I moved on an had it Line Xed and it lasted till I sold it in 2018. The rear hitch was ripped from the truck by my Son pulling bushes. 067.JPG That was the final straw and at that point I decided to rebuild the entire rear floor and frame area. 089.JPG090.JPG091.JPG091.JPG092.JPG093.JPG095.JPG096.JPG I am not a body man. I was not doing a restoration. I used this M1009 many years and it was my firewood off road vehicle and served well. In 2018 I decided to sell them all. Good Luck. If you find an M1009 that is not really rusty you can harvest the rear crossmember. Good Luck.
111.JPG

Attachments

nyoffroad

New after market repair panels are out there, including that rear beam and other supports. LMC is a big supplier and IIRC they now carry that rear beam, shipping cost will hurt!

Ckrebello

That rear floor rail is replaceable/repairable. That is a lot of work. It is fairly easy work. I replaced 1 in an M1009 that was my own. It was poorly supported and the rear gate was sagging. I used a lot of 12 gauge galvaneal and formed it. That was back in 2009 and I never had the same issue again. It was not as original. I moved on an had it Line Xed and it lasted till I sold it in 2018. The rear hitch was ripped from the truck by my Son pulling bushes. View attachment 835529 That was the final straw and at that point I decided to rebuild the entire rear floor and frame area. View attachment 835530View attachment 835531View attachment 835532View attachment 835532View attachment 835533View attachment 835534View attachment 835536View attachment 835537 I am not a body man. I was not doing a restoration. I used this M1009 many years and it was my firewood off road vehicle and served well. In 2018 I decided to sell them all. Good Luck. If you find an M1009 that is not really rusty you can harvest the rear crossmember. Good Luck.
View attachment 835538
That rear floor rail is replaceable/repairable. That is a lot of work. It is fairly easy work. I replaced 1 in an M1009 that was my own. It was poorly supported and the rear gate was sagging. I used a lot of 12 gauge galvaneal and formed it. That was back in 2009 and I never had the same issue again. It was not as original. I moved on an had it Line Xed and it lasted till I sold it in 2018. The rear hitch was ripped from the truck by my Son pulling bushes. View attachment 835529 That was the final straw and at that point I decided to rebuild the entire rear floor and frame area. View attachment 835530View attachment 835531View attachment 835532View attachment 835532View attachment 835533View attachment 835534View attachment 835536View attachment 835537 I am not a body man. I was not doing a restoration. I used this M1009 many years and it was my firewood off road vehicle and served well. In 2018 I decided to sell them all. Good Luck. If you find an M1009 that is not really rusty you can harvest the rear crossmember. Good Luck.
View attachment 835538
Is that beam call the rear tail panel? I found one on Raybuck. It is made from 20 gauge steel which seems thin, but I’m no body guy either.
btw. Nice truck. My use will be similar to yours.
Thank you for your help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks