• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 shut off like ran out of fuel

joho

My M1009 just shut off like I turned the key off driving down the road. the fuel filter was full of fuel. I put a new one on but I can't get the filter primed. The fuel pump is pumping great. I just can't get the fuel past the filter. Anyone have any ideas?

Ken_86gt

I don't understand. You say that it quit while driving, so you changed the fuel filter? and now you can't prime it even thought the fuel pump is working? When you primed the filter if fuel came out of the vent, then its is primed. Did this happen?

joho

I got the filter primer now I just wasnt cranking it long enough. But even with fuel coming out of the bleeder it still wont start. I tried a new filter just for the hell of it. Yeh the truck just shut off.

Ken_86gt

Unfortunately by changing the filter you are making it harder to troubleshoot. With the key on check for 12V on the injector pump shutoff solenoid (the pink wire).

If you have voltage I would try a very small shot of starting fluid to see if it fires. Remove voltage to the glow plugs first. Starting fluid can be dangerous for this engine. If it does not fire then it is not a fuel problem. A lot of people will tell you not to try the starting fluid, there is risk here of engine damage.

joho

I put a test light to the fat red wire on top of the pump and it has power. I did try starting fluid and it still wont start. I know starting fluid is very very bad for these engines but I'm getting desperate I don'n know what else to look for.

91W350

Does the engine sound normal when cranking with the starter or does it sound like it has compression in one or two spots?

joho

I pulled an injector line and there is no fuel going into the cylinder, nothing coming out of the line. I have 12 volts going to the pump and fuel coming out of the filter bleeder. Sounds fine when cranking won't even start with starting fluid. It will end up on the classified section soon.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
If you keep spraying ether in there it's gonna detonate on the glow plugs and really ruin the engine. Sounds like the solenoid on the IP is gone, not letting fuel to the injectors.

joho

How do I check or replace this solenoid on the ip? Is it right on the ip? I know, I stay away from the sf as much as possible.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Troubleshooting an injection pump no start complaint
In order to properly troubleshoot a Stanadyne DB2 application, you must insure the following conditions are met:
1) Voltage – You must have the correct voltage to the shut off solenoid and to the cold start advance solenoid.
2) You should also have the pump properly timed. Please refer to the manufacturers timing information for complete timing instructions in the tech manuals.
3) You should also have a solid stream of return before the pump can achieve starting capacity. Return can be measured here. You can also attach a clear line to check the return for air bubbles here.
4) You should also have a minimum of 150-200 cranking RPMs. If your batteries are weak and you are not attaining the minimum cranking, your vehicle will not start.

INJECTION PUMP BLEEDING
Once you have satisfied these four requirements, the injection pump should be bleed. This is best done by attaching and properly tightening the lines at the head of the injection pump, and loosely attaching them at the injectors. As you are turning the vehicle over, you will begin to get a fuel foam, a mixture of air and fuel, coming out at the line connection, at that time go ahead and lock down the line nut to the injector. Repeat procedure until all lines are bleed completely.

If after doing this procedure the vehicle does not start, please do the following:
1) Attach a clear line to the return side of the injection pump and inspect for air bubbles. If you have air getting into the system, correct the problem before proceeding.
2) Attach a hose directly from the injection pump to an alternate source of fuel. You will need approximately 2-5 gallons for this test. You will need to bypass the entire fuel system, including the lift pump, for this test to be done properly. The injection pump has an internal supply pump that will pull fuel from the source.

If there is still a problem consult a diesel shop about rebuilding the injection pump.

Copied from the 3rd page of the CUCV FAQ sticky

joho

I don't have fuel going to the injectors and I don't know where the ip solenoid is or how to test it. That was alot of info but it didn't really help me

joho

Is there a wiring diagram that can show me where this injector pump relay is? or the shut off relay? or are they both the same?

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Turn the key to the run position and disconnect the big red wire from the IP, you should hear a click as the solenoid de-energizes, also if you have access to a meter with the key off you should read 4-5 ohms across the coil of the solenoid on the IP. I just checked this on my civy suburban with a 6.2

Ken_86gt

If it does not fire on starting fluid, you do not have a fuel problem that is keeping you from running. You may not be getting fuel because you changed your fuel filter and the injector pump is still not primed yet. You need to do a compression test. Even if you were getting fuel it would not run if it won't run on starting fluid.

joho

The ip solenoid has a small ticking noise when I disconect the wire from it. It is not a very loud noise but it is there. It is still not getting fuel thru the injector line to the cylinder head. and since it just shut off on me I am thinking something shorted out or stopped working. but I don't know what it could be

datsunaholic

If it's not at least making an attempt to fire on starting fluid then it's quite possible the timing chain broke. That would explain the no fuel from the IP, since it wouldn't turn with the chain broken.

I know, worst case scenario, but I'd check that. Pull a valve cover (or if you can see the rockers any other way) and crank, see if the rockers are moving.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Well, the solenoid sounds like it's working. I'd bet the IP let go. Does the motor crank over exactly as it did before the shut down?

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
If it's not at least making an attempt to fire on starting fluid then it's quite possible the timing chain broke. That would explain the no fuel from the IP, since it wouldn't turn with the chain broken.

I know, worst case scenario, but I'd check that. Pull a valve cover (or if you can see the rockers any other way) and crank, see if the rockers are moving.
You can pull the oil filler tube off the front of the motor and look in the hole on the front of the timing cover and see if the gear is turning. easier than pulling a valve cover. . .

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks