• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 side windows

CycleJay

Hi Guys,

Just curious..

What would be the proper SS acceptable way to go from sliding side windows
in my M1009, to the standard solid window?

In the shell, not the drivers or passenger doors..

I have been looking at M1009 photos lately, and I think I like the look
of the non-sliding windows more then the sliding windows.

Any helpful advice would be appreciated.

Thank you,

GPrez

Not sure i fully understand your question, but the m1009 came with fixed glass so that would be the preferred way if I know this crowd. I agree with you the fixed glass does look better IMO.

mikev

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Guys,

Just curious..

What would be the proper SS acceptable way to go from sliding side windows
in my M1009, to the standard solid window?

In the shell, not the drivers or passenger doors..

I have been looking at M1009 photos lately, and I think I like the look
of the non-sliding windows more then the sliding windows.

Any helpful advice would be appreciated.

Thank you,
No advice, but I'll trade you my solid windows for your sliders. :)

CycleJay

Hello GPrez..

I just want to know how to remove the sliding windows, and install fixed glass windows.
Because I like the look better, now I think.

I have not done that sort of thing before, so I want to learn how to do it right.

That is all.

Thank you...

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It might be easier to just swap the top. I know Twright had 2-3 he couldn't give away. (think he scrapped them).

CycleJay

Unaffiliated,

Thank you for the post, and the tip.

I can see that getting fixed windows should not be a problem, from what I see already.

I would be glad to trade my sliders with any SS member willing to come here,
and assist me remove and install the fixed windows.

Or even switch complete tops if they want to go that route as well..

I like the much cleaner, simpler look of the fixed glass. I can deal with the heat.
No worries.

Thank you,

mutt1966

Remember those sliders are tinted original glass is'nt, I have very dark tinted sliders it really makes a huge differance in the temp in summer. Scott O&O

Dodgeman1941

You pull the center cord put of the outside of the rubber window molding, the then reinstall the cord after the window is reinstalled. Soapy water helps the process. Just a word of warning, it will get hotter then h@#l for your back seat passengers because airflow won't get back there w/o the sliding windows . We had solid windows in our first 09 and it was a huge improvement when we added the sliders (and we live in MI). I'm currently looking for another set of sliders for our second 09.

CycleJay

Thank you Mutt and Dodgeman,

My sliders are not tinted..
As for the heat, are right about the back getting hot, I may have to rethink that idea.
But I do like the cleaner, simpler look though.

Hmmm..

Thank you...

GPrez

I understand now. I'm a glass man by trade so I can actually help with this one. As dodge man suggested soapy water really helps. The gasket holding the glass is kinda "H" shaped. One edge captures the glass and the other edge captures the top. When you remove the center cord of the gasket it allows the gasket to relax so it can fold a little. Start in one corner with a flat bar or putty knife working the gasket off of the top. Once a little bit starts it should pop out easy.

When you reinstall get some thin nylon string and wrap it around the perimeter of the gasket. As you work the gasket around the edge of the top you can pull the string to make it easier.

Grega

I love my tinted slider windows. Bought them off craigs list for $30. Very good deal. Painted the aluminum frame black and used the proper prep for aluminum. Cant recall the name of the primer right now.Check out my Avaitor. Also bought a tinted rear window from the local windshield company.

Milkman357

Etching Primer and installation advice?!

Any Auto parts store has etching primer to enable you to paint the Aluminium Frame the sliders sit in..

I could use more advice on intstallation..

I LOVE my sliders.. I highly recommend them. The rear seat passengers love them more than me.. I need to remove and replace some windows..

Getting them out is easy.. but last time I tried to intall some.. I was afraid I was gonna break the glass..

The only thing I've read so far, that makes sense is soapy water.. to enable the windows (Or frame in the Sliders case) to slip into the rubber gasket better..

any other advice?

panama

I agree with you guys...I have solid rear windows and would gladly drive to GA for sliders! It is hot as Hades here in Miami and with no AC or headliner I could use all the airflow I can get (and even that can't be called "cool")! The solid windows are a nice look but not practical for a daily driver IMHO.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks