• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 slantback revisited

67_C-30

One of my friends does upholstery work, and he going to make me a soft top for M1009 that I can use in warmer months. I originally was going to copy one of the standard soft tops out there, but now I'm thinking of doing a slant back style soft top. I bought an extra Blazer top with the ambitious thought of building a slant back hard top like in the first pic, but I am no expert with fiberglass, and I'm afraid fabbing that would be WAY above me ability - plus it would be heavy as ****.

My plan is to take the extra top, and cut everything away except about 1 1/2" of it from the bedrails and where it mounts to the cab. This little bit left there could be finished out and would stay on the truck when soft top is off. I would not screw snaps into the bedsides or roof of the truck, so this would be a good place to put them. It would give a place for the snaps to be installed as well as good place to attach the mounts for the "frame" structure of the soft top. I have in mind a modular skeleton made of aluminun tubing that could be easily and quickly removed. I have access to the tubing and bender , tig welder, and machine shop at work, so this would absolutely be no problem for me to build.

I modified the a photoshop of a slant back M1009 that I saw on here a while back. I think I like the look of no side windows, but I'm not sure. I would want a rear window for sure, and would want it removeable. I think it would look killer and definitely be different.

Here's an idea of what it will look like. Keep in mind that these are just crude renderings, as I don't know how to use photoshop!:???:
The second pic is of what it would look like with the section of the hard top to mount the frame. I would finish out and box where the cuts were made and just leave it on the truck during the summer months.

What are your thoughts?

Attachments

Last edited:

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First is that's a pretty slick photoshop for the slantback. If you look through the drivers window you will see the normal Blazer rear window and frame still there on the passenger side.

I actually kind of like that look and I too have a spare top. I'd been thinking on just up armor it by using inserts in place of windows. Have not thought out the wood vs figerglass vs sheet steel...

I want to do a similar type of soft top. But I've also been toying with just removing the top and putting in a roll cage. THEN fab a soft top around that.

Just throwing ideas out.

67_C-30

First is that's a pretty slick photoshop for the slantback. If you look through the drivers window you will see the normal Blazer rear window and frame still there on the passenger side.

I actually kind of like that look and I too have a spare top. I'd been thinking on just up armor it by using inserts in place of windows. Have not thought out the wood vs figerglass vs sheet steel...

I want to do a similar type of soft top. But I've also been toying with just removing the top and putting in a roll cage. THEN fab a soft top around that.

Just throwing ideas out.

I thought about the roll bar too, but I like the look of it with no top at all, and drove it that way most of the summer. I'd just like a soft top for rainy or cool weather and when I go on road trips where I stay overnight. I definitely like the hardtop when its cold!;)

41cl8m5

Hey Wallew modify that spare and then add the turret and hummer turtle A/c unit and you will be king of the road!!! Can't wait to see it
:grd:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks