• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Starter Issues

Y2815

I have done a ton of reading and followed a great deal of the advice offered but am still having issues.

I have a 1986 M1009, was running like a champ and 2 weeks ago I go out in the morning after driving it the day before and it will not even turn over, just acts like it is dead in the water. We jump the battery, no joy, I beat on the starter with a hammer no joy....I am about to give up and go to plan B give it one more shot and it starts. Took it out that day and several times after without issue.

Fast forward to today - drive it and start it 3 times without issue, I am leaving Homedepot and get a nasty squeal like a belt is loose, head towards home and about a mile down the road start to get electrical burn smell. When I get home I shut it down and I am back to dead in the water, will not crank.

Battery in the front is about a year old (I am told) and battery in the back I just replaced. I was also told the starter was replaced right before I purchased it (about 6 weeks ago). I pulled the starter and checked that the wires were tight, the smaller wire was a bit loose, tightened that up. In reading today it appears that the next best option to consider is the Starter Relay - did the dog head conversion with a relay (part number found on the forum) but still no luck. I can hear the relay click but get no further.

My thought is perhaps the new starter is bad but wanted to get the thoughts of the many that have been down the road before.

Thanks

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Many of the new east Asia starters do not live very long. Pull the starter and have it tested.