• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Starter Sparks

jplace1011

The starter in my M1009 began sparking when I started it the last two attempts.

I don’t know how old the Starter is, I’ve only owners the vehicle 2 years.

I’m assuming the Starter needs to be Replaced. Could it be anything else? Also is there anything tricky about installing the New Starter, or is it just a Standard Installation?

Thank you in advance for any help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keith_J

Brush commutated motors spark, you shouldn't see it as this is a splash and drip sealed motor. Sparks can come from the contacts in the solenoid too. Sparks from the main connection lugs are a problem as this shows poor connection.

Simple to swap, disconnect batteries front to back, negative first. Remove the purple-white wire, then the large red. Remove the brace and two starter bolts. On M1009, jacking the frame up helps with clearance.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Maybe the positive cable is loose. Starter is sealed up pretty good so I wouldn’t imagine sparks are coming from inside. It bolts up in the usual GM fashion. It’s heavy.

I agree that something is loose. Starter positive cable or starter itself could be loose but grinding would be present. Also the purple wire could be loose on the solenoid. The solenoid could also be loose.

Look at it at night and you can see the arching much better.

87cr250r

You shouldn't be able to see the normal sparks from the brushes or solenoid from the outside of the starter, those locations are all enclosed. NDT is most likely correct about a loose external connection.

jplace1011

You shouldn't be able to see the normal sparks from the brushes or solenoid from the outside of the starter, those locations are all enclosed. NDT is most likely correct about a loose external connection.
My Mechanic buddy is going to take a look at the Starter. I already have a New one, the previous owner gave me a box of new parts which included a Starter.

On Monday we’ll check out the Wires, Connections and see if the Starter is Loose, etc.

I’ll Report Back soon. Let’s see what the deal is under there!!

Thank you for the input, you are all so helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cucvrus

You said he gave you a box of parts. And there was a starter in the parts, May I recommend before you install the starter to have it checked out and make sure it is up to par. Hate to see you waste the time on a questionable starter. These parts I always have looked at professionally before just installing them. There is more to a starter and alternator then just replacing a few parts. Sure, you can get by but what's the point if it has other issues and you have no idea how to do the job correctly.

jplace1011

You said he gave you a box of parts. And there was a starter in the parts, May I recommend before you install the starter to have it checked out and make sure it is up to par. Hate to see you waste the time on a questionable starter. These parts I always have looked at professionally before just installing them. There is more to a starter and alternator then just replacing a few parts. Sure, you can get by but what's the point if it has other issues and you have no idea how to do the job correctly.

*Update*
The Cover on the Starter was loose, so were the 2 Bolts. I have a suspicion it’s all been loose for a long time. There’s some oil inside just past the cover and one of the Bolts was bent. I’m assuming the sparks were seen because the cover was lose.

A New Starter (from Car Quest) was installed, a new hole had to be drilled into the Mounting Bracket.

It now seems to all be well now, the M1009 has been starting right up!!

I’m thinking of taking the Old Starter apart and seeing how it works and what’s inside of it.

Last edited:

Keith_J

Very easy to replace the brushes and bushings on a 27MT. The solenoid contacts can be flipped, the contact plate can only be cleaned as it is riveted on. The plate should rotate to spread wear.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks