• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1009 starting issue need some help

Btempy

Bought this truck a week or so ago and its had this issue since i bought it.
Crank crank crank in the morning trying to get it started, After its been started it starts up right away. Till it sits overnight.
thinking it was glowplugs i replaced them with ac delco 60gs. Still same problem.
when cranking white exhaust comes out so its getting fuel.
Also when turned to the on position i hear a clunk when the WTS light comes on, but no other clicks after that so i dont think the plugs are cycling.
- Hoping you guys could help me out as its really annoying.
Stationed away from home and of course my multimeter so i cant do any readings.
Tomorrow when the engine is cold i will pull a plug and visual check. but i cant hear them cycling, nor does the volt meter in the dash reflect this. Constant reading

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can buy a multimeter for under $10. Without some testing you/we are just guessing.

Btempy

I will go out and get one tomorrow. but just trying to figure this out. What would cause the glow plugs to not cycle, or possibly not turn at all?
WTS light comes on, when i turn to on i hear one clunk but thats it.
Its been sunny so when i started it the other day it cranked right up just like if it had been just running.
Sorry. Just trying to get an idea of what could be it beforehand.

r392

Is it parked on a hill. It might be your fuel pressure switch located behind the fuel filter. if it is slightly nose up when parked the fuel will drain backwards and you have to crank and crank till it reprimes. Just a thought park it nose down on a slope and see if it happens. Doug

Btempy

Is it parked on a hill. It might be your fuel pressure switch located behind the fuel filter. if it is slightly nose up when parked the fuel will drain backwards and you have to crank and crank till it reprimes. Just a thought park it nose down on a slope and see if it happens. Doug
Ive been parking it nose down, started right up on one hot day but thats it.
Also with a bad relay will the wait to start light come on? Ive been thinking that was the issue but havent done any readings yet, and i cant source a new one out from any autoparts store. Gonna get a multimeter today and hopefully figuire this out.

cpf240

Yes, the WTS light will still come on, but one indicator that the relay is bad is how long it is staying on. The glow plug controller gets a voltage reading from the glow plug side of the relay, so the light staying on longer than usual indicates there is a problem.

You can try jumpering the two big lugs on the relay for 5 seconds or so, and then try to start it. If the glow plugs are good, and nothing else is wrong, it should start.

MarcusOReallyus

What would cause the glow plugs to not cycle, or possibly not turn at all?.

Lots of things.

Without some testing you/we are just guessing.

Sounds like you already know how to use the meter, so you're ahead of the game there.

I keep an El Cheapo in my vehicle. If I lose it beside a highway somewhere because I forgot about it in the excitement of getting my car/truck running again, well, it was well worth it.

Btempy

Parking nose down does nothing, which is what i assumed was the problem at first, drain back. Now im leaning toward glow plug related since it starts right up on really sunny days, and while cranking white smoke.
Ill pick up a multimeter today and do some testing, i know the glow plugs are good since i just replaced all 8. Leaning toward relay right now.
Love the truck to death but just problems...

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just because you replaced them recently, does not mean they are all good.

It only takes a couple seconds to kill them all if there is a problem somewhere in the GP system.

Follow the troubleshooting section of the -20TM, covering the GP system.

Btempy

Just because you replaced them recently, does not mean they are all good.

It only takes a couple seconds to kill them all if there is a problem somewhere in the GP system.

Follow the troubleshooting section of the -20TM, covering the GP system.
Right, I have that TM pulled up on my phone ready to go.

Keith_J

Diesels are sensitive to cranking speed. Weak starters won't spin the engine fast enough to reach the autoignition temperature of diesel. If the vehicle has more than 50k on the odometer, a starter rebuild is a good ideal. The kits are available on ebay for under $14. It took me two hours to pull, overhaul and replace a starter in the field. Only special tool you need is a 1/4" NPT pipe tap with a long tap handle to pull the nose bushing.

Btempy

Fixed.. Plugs all tested good. Even the old ones but i woudve replaced them anyways. Found out that the glow plug controller card previously had been replaced with a cucv electic "legacy" which surprised me. Anyway Problem ended up being the junk glow plug relay, After stopping at a couple auto stores to try and order the part; no luck, i wouldve had to special order it and wait a week for it to get here. Ended up stopping over at Motorsource in IL right down the road from me. They used to deal with alot of cucv and even had 2 m1009 sitting over to the side, Owner ended up giving me the part free of charge. Nice guy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks