• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 starts, runs like 5 seconds and dies.

edpdx

It feels like a fuel starvation issue, so I opened the fuel bleed and cranked it 2-3 times. It finally started and will restart immediately. I can restart it as many times as I want. If I let it sit for 20 minutes though, it will need to be cranked and bled before a I can get it to start again.

Where is air likely to be entering the fuel line?

richingalveston

check mechanical fuel pump

when mechanical fuel pump goes out it will sputter fuel allowing it to start for 5 seconds and die. crank it a bunch of times and it will run for 5 seconds and die again.

both my 1009's did this when the mechanical fuel pump was out.

disconnect the output to the pump, put a hose on it and run it into a bucket. should have heavy flow, if it sputters, its bad.

could be a lot of other things to but this is pretty common to check

richingalveston

check pump at pump/ filter can give false conclusion

I would check it at the fuel pump. Unscrew the metal line on the ouput of the pump. (for safety, remove the power wire to your IP solonoid so that the engine will not start). Crank it over and see how much it produces. When the pump goes bad it will allow the fuel to drain back through it to the tank making it appear you have an air in fuel problem. It will also pump very low volume which will only let it run for a few seconds before it dies.

Check the electric fuel pump mods on this forum. Many people here install one instead of a new mechanical pump. The mechanical pump is a B****** to change due to its location.

If pump puts out steady flow. It could be a filter base problem which can be difficult to test. The best test for the stock filter base is to replace it with a spin on base (see threads for that also) and see if it fixes your problem.

Brutusdog

fuel filter

sounds like what mine did for awhile. I changed out the fuel filter to a spin on, no problems since. If you think it might be that, bypass the filter you have now and see if it helps. The other thing that worked on mine before I changed the filter was make sure the tank is mostly full and park with the back end higher than the front. It would start everytime. Just thoughts. good luck!

Lothar

I had this problem for a long time. My problem was an air leak from the water/fuel sensor behind the filter. I plan to upgrade to a spin on setup, but my money is going into a different truck right now. I was able to fix the issue by simply removing the sensor, cleaning the base with brake cleaner, and putting some JB Weld over the hole that the fuel reaches the sensor through. I removed the sensor and replaced the filter. No more problems. I doubt that the sensor was working anyway because I've had it for years and it never came on once. My other diesel trucks with sensors have occasionally notified me of water, and I fill them all up at the same stations. Good luck with yours, I know this can get frustrating.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try the fuel return check valve. Had the same issue with another diesel motor, start and run a few seconds then die. Punched the glass ball out, cleaned the gunk out, reinstalled and now runs like a top!

edpdx

FIXED! I found a rubber fuel line that runs from behind the fuel pump up the front of the engine- about 18" between steel lines. Had a knife type cut in it. Maybe I slipped with a screwdriver when taking the clamp off?

Anyways, I taped it with some of that wonder tape- the stretchy electrical tape-looking stuff with a celo backing on it. I'll pick up some fuel hose and get it done right real soon.

Thanks for all your input.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks