• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 starts, stalls, starts, sounds like crap

Braunchitis

Hi. I'm new to this forum and I was hoping someone could help me.

I bought a M1009 with 80,000 miles at the end of December; this is the first diesel I've ever owned. Throughout the winter, I didn't have any problems getting it started. It is now March and I have problems starting it.

If I want to start it in the morning, (it was about 45 deg F today) I let the glow plugs warm up, turn the key off, and let them warm up again. I press the button, and it starts - and then dies a few seconds later. I try starting it again, and it cranks at normal speed, but won't start or even sputter until I crank it for a few minutes (giving it time to cool off a bit in between attempts). Eventually, it will start sputtering, and finally start. It runs a little rough for a few seconds, and there is a loud squealing noise for a few minutes. Eventually this goes away and the truck runs fine. This has been going on for about 2 weeks.

The guy I bought it from said he had put new glow plugs in just before I bought it, and I've changed the fuel filter twice in the past month, thinking this was maybe the problem (it had been sitting around not being run for a while).

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mine does that too. It teases you...kinda starts and runs for 4-5 seconds then dies and it's almost like it's "flooded" like a carbureted gas engine.
I think it's just because it's cold. Try holding the accelerator down 1/2-3/4 down while cold starting (it says to do that on the visor starting instructions) then keep the pedal down a little bit once it starts. Then it runs rough til it warms up (great characteristic of diesels :? ). As for the squealing, it sounds like your belts are a bit loose or worn, the cold weather seems to make that more evident and hardens the belt. Also try some Diesel Power Service (has a cetane booster, which helps cold starting a little bit)

I forgot to add that part also. You have to bleed the air out of the fuel system after changing filters. Ik I have air in my lines...the fuel filter base is leaking, but, it's been way to fricken cold to fix it. Hopefully in the next week or two.

underdog

Both of ours are like that.
You have to give it some throttle. It sounds terrible such RPM's on a cold motor.
If you do not keep them running on the first try, the second start is a real struggle.
Good luck

jumpmasterjim

Air or water in the fuel filters is the easiest option. This happens when the operator does not bleed the fuel filters. It could also have air in the system on the other side of the injector pump. If this is the case you will have to bleed the injectors while the engine ie running take a wrench and loosen the outer nut on each injector until a steady stream of fuel spits out. Then tighten the nuts. I found this one out on my buddys' 1009. My 1009 runs perfect if I do a weekly fuel filter bleed. If you don't already have the CUCV service manuals , I suggest you buy them. Thay are on disc and are pretty cheap. Good luck.

ultim8gamr

Re: RE: M1009 starts, stalls, starts, sounds like crap

jumpmasterjim said:
My 1009 runs perfect if I do a weekly fuel filter bleed.
how often should the filter be bled? i havent bled mine in nearly 6 months... since i last changed the filter and was having problems with it. i havent had any problems with it lately and didnt want to tamper...

jumpmasterjim

Braunchitis said:
I had my cousin (who's a mechanic) look at it Friday...It turns out the fuel pump is leaking.
The injector pump should be replaced at 100,000 miles. It sounds like yours is happening sooner. The injector pump goes for about $400. The injectors make it a bit more money. The easiest solution would have been bleeding thefuel filter or replace it. Then bleeding the air out of the injector lines. Then and only then replace injectors and pump. There is a world of difference in power and performance. Good luck and I hope its the cheaper solution.

CCATLETT1984

jumpmasterjim said:
Braunchitis said:
I had my cousin (who's a mechanic) look at it Friday...It turns out the fuel pump is leaking.
The injector pump should be replaced at 100,000 miles. It sounds like yours is happening sooner. The injector pump goes for about $400. The injectors make it a bit more money. The easiest solution would have been bleeding thefuel filter or replace it. Then bleeding the air out of the injector lines. Then and only then replace injectors and pump. There is a world of difference in power and performance. Good luck and I hope its the cheaper solution.
The more likely senaario is that the lift pump on the side of the block is leaking or the check valve inside it has failed and is letting fuel drain back to the tank. its a fairly cheap part, but a PITA to put in.

CCATLETT1984

ultim8gamr said:
jumpmasterjim said:
My 1009 runs perfect if I do a weekly fuel filter bleed.
how often should the filter be bled? i havent bled mine in nearly 6 months... since i last changed the filter and was having problems with it. i havent had any problems with it lately and didnt want to tamper...
You only bleed them when having issues, or when you have opened up the system.

trkosaur

I had the exact same problem, squeaking belts and all. Starts right away, dies. It usually takes two sets of good cranking with the pedal down to get it to fire after that. I just replaced all of my belts and was pretty sure I had them at the right tension. Eventually, my new belts settled a bit and the squealing has gone away.

I did two things and she fires right up now. Changed the fuel filter and bled according to the manual. I am pretty sure that I had a bit of air in the system which was causing the whole problem.

Also, I cleaned the plunger that sits right on top of the injection pump (looks like a screw sticking out). Make sure it can move easily as it is directly related to your throttle and can get stuck easily. I just sprayed WD40 on it to clean it out and getting it moving freely. However, in hind sight carb cleaner probably would have been a better option and I will follow up with that. I will also hit mine with a few drops of lubricant to keep it moving smoothly.

Seemed to work for me, hopefully this helps you out.

3dubs

I see the service manuals under resources but can someone tell the numbers of the CUCV ones to find them easier. I just bought my first CUCV and waiting for the EUC to clear. But the description says it starts but will not stay running. I start cheap and move to the expensive fixes. I found some of the manuals but would like to know how many there are I am sure I may have overlooked some.

ABN173

You should have to click "next page" like 8 times, it will clearly say operator's manual cucv # 9-2320-289-10, there are several must reads such as the same # (cept the last two digits)
-20, -20p (parts), -30, and there is even a "cucv lube order" you have to find that one yourself ;)
that shows you all the points you need to find and hit with a grease gun.

I know there is so many TM's on the resource tab, but relax, muck through it, and read them. It will be a huge help to you!

Last edited:

Crash_AF

Won't stay running could be a fuel problem, but most likely the batteries are completely dead and it shuts down as soon as the slave cable is removed.

Later,
Joe