• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 stays running with Headlights ON

Wetbehindears

Ok... We we changing out the old slow wiper motor in my sons M1009 and now have a strange condition.
Start truck, turn on headlights and blinker lights light up, no dash lights come on, and if you turn the key off... the truck stays running!
If you turn the headlights off... the truck will die! You can actually kill the truck using the headlight switch. Any suggestions?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check/clean the ground wire at the 6 prong "spider" connection next to the parking brake.

The TM tells you to check this for a no-shutoff situation

Wetbehindears

Warthog you are Very much correct!
Amazing that one little ground wire could cause so many problems. I showed my son the location of it last night, we cleaned it up good, and I told him if you have any weird electrical problems, start right there! Thank You Very Much!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been there, done that. ;)

That ground location feeds the entire dash wiring harness. You would thiink it would be larger.

And then you think "what would changing the wiper motor have to do with a ground wire under the dash?" Who knows!!!

Glad you got it fixed.

Last edited: