• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Steering

cptd

I have an M1009 with 16" rims and some nice coopers on the wheels.

I have 2 questions:

1. When at right lock I am getting some rubbing from the drivers side tire on a steering component, I think it is the pitman arm. I do not know what the offset is on the wheels and would like to inexpensively fix this.

Spacers?

New pitman arm?

Or is there some adjustment available that will fix this?

2. This leads to the second issue. Occasionally when driving slow (less than 10MPH, like a right turn with a yeild sign or into a store's parking lot), or from a stop when turning right the steering wheel will not come back to center eventhough the wheels do. Then about a block later it will violently correct itsself. Usually about the time I hit traffic speed. So far, because I know it is coming, it has not caused any real hazardous situations, but I know it will come.

Also it seems, only rarely, that the front end is in 4WD. I say that because I will occasionally get the sort of feedback from the front tires that you get when 4WD is engaged on dry rocky asphalt.

Anyone else with thess issues?

Any ideas on a fix?

I see these both as related issues, am I wrong?

I recently had the front end rebuilt, with a focus on the drivers side as the hubs were about to FAIL. I did not drive it before the fix as the vehicle arrived while I was still deployed. My wife had it fixed. She has not driven it since it has been fixed when these problems arise.

If pictures are needed, plese let me know what you want to see. I have searched the manuals and the forum and not found a fix, but I may not know the search terms to use.

Thanks,

CPTD

camogriz

It seems the backspacing on your wheels may not be correct for the vehicle. Spidertrax sells nice spacers for the M1009 that can be purchased from any of a number of off-road vendors, however I would not recommend them for the front axle. As for the steering that doesn't return, check your ball joints as well as your axle u-joints (different than the driveshaft u-joints). They may be binding.

Barrman

I agree about the wheel back spacing being wrong. That is probably your rub. The next option is the leaf spring bushings are so bad the axle is sliding side to side on you.

If the steering wheel and the direction the tires are facing is changing relationship, stop driving the truck! I would first check the rag joint between the steering box and the steering shaft under the hood.

If the truck feels like it is in four wheel drive and you have the hubs un locked and the truck in 2 wd. First verify it actually is in 2WD. Crawl under and turn the front drive shaft. If it spins free, the transfer case is in 2wd. If it doesn't spin free then you have to figure out if it is the lock out hubs or the tcase keeping it from spinning. If all that checks out. Then you almost certianly have bad front axle ujoints at the steering knuckles.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Making a right hand turn in a 4x4 straight axle chevy that results in tire rub is always going to be the drag link/pitman arm. Your options are to install spacers or swap wheels.

cptd

Replaced left front hub, bearings, seals, spindle, spindle nut and both lockers. Repacked right front wheel bearings and seal. Replaced front brake pads.

I'll check the stuff you guys suggested and report back.

CPTD

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks