• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Steering

CUCVSRK

Hey guys, the steering on my M1009 is fairly loose and its all over the road at highway speed and I just got a new steering box. Was the steering on these trucks ever that tight or was it always loose like that? Also I've heard that a Jeep XJ steering box will fit and is tighter is this true and do I need to modify anything to make it fit? Thanks in advance

K9Vic

I do not know about the Jeep steering box, but I think your information should be just the shaft. What you need to do is find a 88-96 Jeep Cherokee steering shaft that will replace the rubber bushing that is the cause of the sloppy steering. There are many post on the Internet on this topic, just search "jeep cherokee steering shaft k5". I have been looking for one myself, but the yards have not had any when I go. You can find them on eBay sometimes, but they want to much for them where the local yard should only be like $10.

i would check/replace the rest of your steering components, tie rod ends, Drag link, etc. as over time these parts do wear down, unless you have changed them out already, When i first got mine, it had same issues, done a complete rebuild of those parts... it worked like new afterwards....

Hasdrubal

A competent alignment shop will be able to tell you whats going on here. It could be that your steering box is no good. Happened to me, got a call from the shop, told me the new rebuilt box had more play in it than my original box. Had to source one from a dedicated steering outfit.

scottladdy

Have you checked for a cracked frame around the steering box mounts?

Rick
Agreed on the frame. A noted weak spot on these trucks, especially if the truck has been heavily used.

What I do to find the issue in steering is to climb under the front of the truck while an assistant moves the steering wheel back and forth. I do NOT do this with the truck running. Check each pivot point for any non-rotational movement or play before movement of the attached succeeding part. I start with the center link and work outwards. Due to the geometry, fractions of an inch of play in the linkages will translate into significant free play in the wheel.

I would recommend replacing all of the wear items anyway. The parts are very reasonable for these trucks. And it sounds like your truck may have some seriously weak links in the linkages. Tie rod ends, center link, check the knuckles as well. Not worth losing your steering because you dropped a $16 tie rod end.

Best of luck and safe driving!

Anubis8472

There are several steering box to frame repair and bracing kits of both the weld in, and bolt in variety if you find a cracked frame.
You note "just got a new steering box", I wouldn't rule that out. Finding a "new" steering gear that isn't just a rebuild of an already worn out, or a low quality reproduction box these days is getting tougher. I went through two "rebuilt" replacements on one truck before I went to the scrap yard and pulled an original gear that worked great.

There is also an adjustment for the steering gear, but it needs to be done off the vehicle. A little play is normal.
It sounds though like you are talking about 'bottom end wander' as opposed to 'top end play' so you'll want to really check the entire front end out.
As was stated above have someone slowly turn the wheel back and forth. You should only see visable play in the steering gear input/output.
If you don't find any issues you might just need a new stabilizer.

richingalveston

Make sure your front end is all good and replace the rag joint in the shaft. I recomend getting a bourgeson steering shaft, they are not real cheep but the are the best fix for the rag joint problem. If your box is worn out, your rag joint is definately gone. You can build a shaft cheaper like others suggest but when it comes to the steering system I would not cut corners.

PeterP

Hello from Germany, :) ( sorry my english is not very well ) I have the same problem on my M1009, we chanced everything, but still steering play. We changed also 3 steering box, two used and one reworked, always the same problem, the frame is not broken, and al the other parts of the steering are changed and doesn't have play.
Do you have experiences with the rebuild steering box from Offroaddesign, http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/PSCsteering.htm Thank you