• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 stereo install headache

Nate475

I'm licking my wounds tonight after spending all day attempting to install a cd player in my m1009. The problem that I'm dealing with is the wiring. I can't seem to find a constant power source in the fuse block for my yellow wire which maintains the stereos settings and its clock. Does anyone know if there is one for certain? I might have missed a hole but so far nothing works. Every thread that I've read on this forum mentions a constant power source socket on the block but nobody seems to know exactly where.

I followed the advice of another thread on here which recommended a piggy back fuse as a means of a switched power source.
piggy back circuit.jpg
So I installed one on the wiper fuse because it's the only switched power source. When I turn my key back to the accessory position I can turn my wipers on. But when I wired my cd player up to the piggy back fuse my cd player wouldn't work with the key in the accessory position but my wipers did. That has me stumped, it just makes no sense what so ever.

Can anyone give me any advice? Tomorrow I'm going to start again and check everything with a meter and a tester light. I might have a bad piggy back fuse? At this point I'm just guessing.

There is no acc on a CUCV. Take a voltmeter to your fusebox and find and empty always hot for your yellow. If I remember, upper left corner?

Sergeant1983

I was wondering if you could redo where the power cables for the original rear radio connect. I have a 12v inverter and figure it would be a good to put it in the center ammo can console. Also place a radio in it as well. That way it's all hidden when not in use.

Last edited:

cpf240

Yes, at least some CUCVs *DO* have an acc position. Push the ignition lock cylinder in, turn counter-clockwise. Though I didn't see it discussed anywhere in the TM, the acc position is depicted in the -10 TM. Wiper fuse slot gets power in this position. I have tested it with a test light and by operating the wipers with the key in the acc position. I have not hooked anything up to it yet, but did verify that it does work.

forest522

I've used the top two single slots on the far left, as seen in the attachment from galeo7171. It's activated by the ignition switch, so when the key is off - no power.

Recently, i've been working on a fuse panel that is activated by this single fuse slot.

This link: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/how-technical-articles/52993-12-circuit-switched-fuse-box.html

goes into detail on how to do this. Very well written. You'll have to adjust a bit if your rig is 24 volt and get power from the other side of the glow plug solenoid.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you follow the directions on that fuse tap? There is a right and wrong way to install it.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not sure if that pic was "mine" but, I just went out and tested with a meter.

This picture is the above picture with the "open" ports labeled. Any of these can be used with a 1/4" female blade terminal, and of course, use an inline fuse to power whatever your connecting it to.

Also, fwiw The fuse sizes in this picture are not all correct.

Attachments

Last edited:

scottladdy

I don't recall any of those open slots being immune from the service light switch being turned off. I may be mistaken on this though. That is why I wired directly to the battery for the radio memory.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good point, I always leave my service light switch on.

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just cheecked, the bottom right constant on, does go out when the service light switch is turned off.

The top right, is not affected by the service light switch.

I'll edit the pic.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pic edited.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am now learning not to leave the headlight switch in the service position. With the ambulance you can't do that too long as there is a relay energized in service drive.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What does that relay supply?

scottladdy

Supplys power for the side flood lights and the spot light on the roof.
So why is there an excessive draw? Is the relay shorted somehow? Is it supposed to be energized?

Sorry, not all that familiar with the Ambulance platform. But, something just doesn't sound right with it.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Takes juice to hold the relay closed. Granted not alot but the trucks are known to sit for weeks at a time or longer. The relay does not control the lights themselves, it controls the circuit. In this manner when you switch to blackout, there is no chance of turning on the spots or floods by accident.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks