• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 stereo install

pgwaldner

There are 2 other options to hacking. I installed a $35 radio from autozone that has knobs like original radio. Not a great stereo, but works. The other option is to find a 90 or 91 dash and cut the radio section and install it in your dash. The later years used a single DIN radio.

lindyp38

the last time i installed an aftermarket radio in a car i was able to use a bracket and bolt up to the bottom lip of the dash...without cutting anything.......i wonder if it would be possible to do that with our trucks....?

camogriz

I mounted my radio in an old Craftsman toolbox that I bolted to the floor between the front seats in my M1009 with a few L-brackets. I made up a piece of plywood that was screwed into the toolbox flush with the inside lip, where the radio is mounted, allowing me to close the toolbox lid. This protects the radio from damage when not in use and keeps it out of sight as well. The best part of my installation was that I was able to connect the radio antenna wire to the military antenna bolted to the outside of my truck through the use of a $2 adapter I got at Radio Shack. I just had to cut off the factory style end on the antenna wire and splice the new adapter on- took about 2 minutes. Boy, did my reception improve with that 10 foot antenna.

mr.travo

I've been looking at different HU's for my Blazer. What I want is a unit that has- Sirius sat radio, iPod CONTROL, and wired LCD readout remote that can control all functions. The reason is I am going to mount everything where it is hidden.

I asked the guys at crutchfield (ya, I do know they are EXPENSIVE) and they set me up with

Sony Xplod CDX-GT930UI $229
Sony remote RM-X60M/L $99
Sirius sat package $114

$440+ is more than I want to spend. I have found the HU cheaper on eBay. I am considering piecing something like this together and would like your input. I know It's just a CUCV, but she's my daily D and I would like my Sat radio back.

The only thing that doesn't sit well with me is that I have read several reviews that the Sony Xplod units are not known for quality and can fail. Kind of leaves me not feeling well (especially dumping this much money into Sony specific equipment.

Any thoughts from you experts on radio units?

Thanks!

mikegoobs

Just buy a nice little pioneer unit for 100 bucks and youll be set. I trust pioneer more than i trust any other brand for stereos. I just put a nice 7 inch touch screen pioneer in my blazer and its the best. I had a cheap pioneer in my Isuzu trooper and it produced quality sound and never skipped or anything when i went wheeling.

mr.travo

I hear you. The thing I am after is that I don't want to cut up my truck nor do I want something that says, "steal me". Lets face it- the CUCV's can be broken into so easily. I figured if everything was hidden and I had just a remote I can pull out, I would feel much better about it all.

mr.travo

I was looking at that earlier. It is cheaper than the Sony setup (about $70 cheaper!). I just wonder how long it will last. and what kind of warranty it comes with. Looks pretty neat and would probably fit the bill. I have been searching to see if there is anything else like it.

jdeoliveira74

I managed bestbuy for many years go with pioneer or alpine for around the same price you will be much happier!

I've been looking at different HU's for my Blazer. What I want is a unit that has- Sirius sat radio, iPod CONTROL, and wired LCD readout remote that can control all functions. The reason is I am going to mount everything where it is hidden.

I asked the guys at crutchfield (ya, I do know they are EXPENSIVE) and they set me up with

Sirius sat package $114

$440+ is more than I want to spend. I have found the HU cheaper on eBay. I am considering piecing something like this together and would like your input. I know It's just a CUCV, but she's my daily D and I would like my Sat radio back.

The only thing that doesn't sit well with me is that I have read several reviews that the Sony Xplod units are not known for quality and can fail. Kind of leaves me not feeling well (especially dumping this much money into Sony specific equipment.

Thanks!

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
a buddy of mine builds hot rods for folks with lots of money

this is THE system he uses and swears by them as do his customers

so I can't give you a specific, but if it's going in a hot rod (32 style) with no top, I figure it should work in a CUCV as well

Anubis8472

They make under dash mount kits or lmc has the overhead console works great in my truck.
Do they make an under-dash enclosure?
Who retails them? All I've been able to find are in-dash, or in-console kits.

I was only able to go 2 days without tunes. I picked up a stereo and a couple 6.5 speakers for basics. When I get some daylight on the weekend I'll be setting it all up.

As a temporary set up, I noticed the two bolts at the bottom of the ashtray door line up with two holes on the sets DIN sleeve. So it's bolted there, with two speakers on the passenger floor wired up sitting in the cardboard boxing they came in. Sounds like crap, but it's music where they was none for now.
This location for the deck is perfect for me, I think I'm going to build a small plywood case for it to bolt in that spot. The only real issue is the floor heat blowing on the back of the unit.

Anyone know the sizes on the stock speaker slots?
I'm guessing a 6x9 center dash and a 4"-4.5" on either side?

mr.travo

Welcome to the site Anubis!!! Yes, I agree, no stereo gets old especially if it is a daily driver! I can't remember for certain what size the speakers are. I have read that it's a little bit of a PITA to install them with the glass in (if I remember correctly). I am sure someone will post up shortly. I am thinking of running the speakers in the dash and putting two in the rear. Not going with a system in this one because of theft being so easy.

Again- welcome to the site and enjoy being an addict!!!!

cucv1833

Sirius sat package $114

Thanks!

Mines a DUAL brand Marine radio $60 with 2- 6.5 speakers. I have a I-Phone with Sirius radio on it i pay $2.00 a month for. When im in my Cucv my iphone plugs into the dual radio and plays the sat radio from my phone and also keeps it charged.

Its a cheap set up thats works great for me in this application. Although im a big fan of Alpine and Pioneer. I have all Alpine in my daily driver

desert demon

I know a stereo is far from origanal on an M37 but i to like my tunes and was wondering if some one could tell me the best way to hook up twelve volt stuff up to a twenty four volt sytem like a am fm cd player,cb,phone charger.:beer:

cucv1833

I know a stereo is far from origanal on an M37 but i to like my tunes and was wondering if some one could tell me the best way to hook up twelve volt stuff up to a twenty four volt sytem like a am fm cd player,cb,phone charger.:beer:
If the M37 is 100% 24v.? you can get a "Converter" 24v step down to 12v.
they run around $15-$50 depending on what you need it for. Do a search on here about Converters i seen a few threads.