• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 stock rims and suspension .. 31 or 33 tires?

Elukas

Hi first let me thank all of you in the forum for taking the time to upload your knowledge. After getting an M1009 last month I been here 24/7. I have used the search option to find 99% of my question but I'm ready to do a big buy on new tires online and wanted to make sure I got the right tires. The m1009 is completly stock. my driving would be 85% road 15% light of road. I was thinking of going with BFG T/A KO. My questions are can I fit 33-12.5-15 on the stock rim, or go with 10.5 or stick with 31-10.5-15? Thank you. Feel free to give out other options

epartsman

The 33's will go on the stock rim no problem but you may need to double check clearance. I know 32's fit perfect as I had a set on mine when I got it and they fit fine.

I have BFG 35x12.5R15 on stock Chevy 6 bolts (with a small lift). As far as mounting 12.50's on the rim I think you'd be ok. But as was said before, there might be a little rubbing depending on how worn your front springs are.
However, most tires aren't truely 33" or 35" or 12.5" wide (and I've heard BFG's tend to run smaller). For example the tires on my 1009 (35x12.50's) are actually about 34x11... Tires also become a little narrower/wider depending on the width of the rim. I think you'll be ok with the 33x12.50's on stock rims. I think a decent amount of guys on here run that same setup on their 1009's.

richingalveston

had 12.5 and wished they were 10.5

I had 33X12.5 mud kings on stock 1009 and they are fine with light off road. You will have some rubbing if the off roading get serious. The 10.5 should have no rubbing since the 12.5's only rubbed when tightly turned and off camber. The rubbing was not bad and did not hurt anything.

With 85% road driving, I think you will get a little better mileage on the 10.5's and unless you have fender flares, the 12.5 keep the truck pretty dirty.

Elukas

Is there a big difference in MPG from 10.5 to 12.5?
Update, I knew I need it new tires but not this bad. I just had a blown tire in the way back from mountain biking aua

pnishr

I can't tell you about mileage, as I haven't driven enough to really know... BUT, just wanted to give another "I run 33's with no rub" post for you. No lift. I went with the 10.50s. I've tried to get them to rub unsuccessfully (but not really offroaded). Go for it!

cucv1833

If your keeping it all stock for now with stock rims I would go with 33x10.5x15 not 12.5".
If you get rubbing it should not be bad and you can do light modification and can do a decent lift down the road.

Im running 33x12.5x15 on a 10.5" wide Aluminium rim with 2.5" lift.
MPG i dont check cause it isnt a daily driver.
Mine only rubs on the driver side front fender under extreme flexing nothing really to speak about.

Elukas

Second update : after the blown tire it was a PITA to get the back rim off. I finally order the 33-12.5-15 the 10.5 were out of stock and I got a great deal in amazon after points. Thanks alot for all the info and advise, I been in alot of forums ( guns, hunting, MTB, kayak and others) but the level of help and support here I never seen or felt else were. Thank you. Will update when I get the tires in

I just put a set of 33x12.50-15 BFG AT T/As on my 1009.
No lift yet.
photo(3).jpg
photo(4).jpgphoto(5).jpg
I had some rubbing on the passenger side, so 5 minutes with an angle grinder with a cut off wheel and no more rubbing.
However it is still very close. I had planned on a 2.5 inch lift, and will do that early next year (should help with more clearance).
I wont be doing any 4 wheeling until i get the lift, so I should be fine until then.

I got 5 tires (spare goes on the rack) and my total was just over a grand.

Any update on your tires Elukas?

rsh4364

i just got 33-10.5x15 bfg all terrains 2 weeks ago and love them, and they are scarce right now,i had to wait a while..i also considered 32-11.5x15s, but went 33s to fill wheel openings more..

cucvrus

Old thread. Anyone ever run BFG Long Trail AT's. I have a 3/4 tread set of 4 in 31 X 10.5 X 15 I want to run off road. I have been running bad tires and getting by. Wanted to hear opinions on the BFG Long trail TA.

LastFbody

Old thread. Anyone ever run BFG Long Trail AT's. I have a 3/4 tread set of 4 in 31 X 10.5 X 15 I want to run off road. I have been running bad tires and getting by. Wanted to hear opinions on the BFG Long trail TA.
Do you mean radial long trail t/a or plain long trail t/a? The two are pretty different from one another. The plain long trail t/as have more of a car tread look to them than the radials do.

Ive run radial long trail t/as as long as ive been driving, first on a 90s explorer, and now on a 2nd gen tahoe. Theyre a great on road tire that wear pretty well and look like they belong on a truck. Theyre okay in snow if you dont mash the accelerator like a gorilla, but the same can be said of most tires. I cant speak for how they do in mud, never got into too hairy of situations with either of those trucks.

jimm1009

Old thread but need some info on the M1009 wheel. GM 15 x 8JJ plain steel with 4 inch back spacing and "hub centric" in design from the factory.
Obviously these are hard to find and getting expensive when you so.

Has anyone purchased an after market wheel that is the correct sizing, etc. but not hub-centric similar to the wheels for the older
jeeps like the M38 or M38A1 and the more modern CJ5 or CJ7. Those center holes do not actually center on the hub like the GM wheel
mentioned above.
Need some information as I think that I found a source for a good US made wheel but may be not a hub-centric design.
I will publish and share once I actually do have goo intel.
jimm1009
aka, Jim

Revision to post; I forgot to include the center hole dimension for the OEM wheel which is 3.5 inches. Good help is sooo hard to find.
And the bolt patter in 6 on 5.5.

Last edited:

chevymike

Most all aftermarket wheels are lug centric versus factory wheels which tend to be hub centric. There are millions of aftermarket wheels on vehicles that do not have any problems with being lug centric. Big thing is making sure you have the correct lug nuts for the type of wheel.

joshuak

Has anyone purchased an after market wheel that is the correct sizing, etc. but not hub-centric similar to the wheels ...

I've had a set of 15x8 Summit specials (procomp?) that are not hub centric on my rig now for a few years, no issues.

They sell metal/plastic bore spacers to make up the difference, if you'd like to go that route.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks