• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 - Stripping it down to "bedline" the entire truck, inside and out

I_Publius

I just had an offer to be able to utilitze someone's paint (bedliners only) shop to spray my CUCV with a bedliner type of material. They may even donate the liner material.

The catch? First, the shop is located about 30 miles from where I live. Second, I have to prep the truck for the job.

That's where I need suggestions and help.

Are there any recommendations for how to systematically take apart the truck, both exterior and interior, to be able to put it back together with the most success?? Someone recommended zip lock bags and a marker to notate which screws, etc go to which part.

What else can I do?

I may even go as far as taking out the windshield and glass in order to get the best job possible. This looks like it will be a huge process.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you going to liner the interior, exterior or both?

Do you really want to take the glass out? Not much metal to liner up around the glass that could not be done with a good tape job. Then once you take out the glass how do you keep from getting all over the exterior paint job?

I_Publius

I am planning on doing both the exterior and interior. :)

It looks as though they will be able to do it in the OD green or beige.

No, I really don't want to take the glass out, although I will be replacing the windshield (multiple cracks) and rubber.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Zip lock bags for ea item you remove is a great idea. Easy to keep track of.

Use foam ear plugs to keep the liner out of the bolt holes.

Are they spraying it or will you be doing it?

I_Publius

They will spray it or I can help them spray it. It's a great set up they have. They can do 35 truck bedliners per day.

I may have them teach me to spray it. It would be great to learn and I may not ever get another opportunity to try it out.

Thoughts?

sschaefer3

I think I would just do the interior, there is a jacked up square body Chevy pickup in my neighborhood that is completely bed liner-ed black on the outside and I think it looks weird. Almost like the truck is fuzzy. The OD paint is so easy to spray on the outside.

I wish I could post a pic of the truck but I don't have one and I am not sure it wouild show accurately how strange it looks.

I_Publius

Yeah, I've Then hoping to see one in person, but I have not.

Another reason for the liner on the outside is for the extracurricular activities that I do. This will be going into areas where I do not want to scratch a nice paint job. My thought is that if I have a bedliner on the outside, then I will not be concerned about it getting banged and scratched up.

Brett09

I like bedliner as paint. I'm currently waiting for my DIY raptor liner kits to come in for the same reasons. You didn't mention the product though. Make sure it has some kind of UV protection in it. You wouldn't want that nice coating to chalk. Also the texture in the finish is another thing to ponder. Do your homework on the prep work needed for it too.

I_Publius

Thanks! The brand is Tuff Liner, which I had never heard of before. The owner os the company has been in business for 20+ years and mainly does work for dealers and oil/gas industry.

This would be their first project of this kind and he asked me if they could do it and use the results for their marketing materials. :)

He mentioned that the chemical structure of their "paint" is most similar to that of LineX and would not chalk like others.

remote6

My whole m1009 is Raptor lined inside and out! I love it looks great in my own custom OD green. Top is black rustolem bed liner and so is the floor. Has been on for a year and looks great. I would recommend the raptor liner. When you prep the truck take all the seats out doors off ant top off tape off what needs to be taped and spray away. Make sure you clean it well I just used paint thinner it called for something else but paint thinner is cheaper and worked fine. My truck was painted white from being a police vehicle so I just took the white paint off to the carc paint and went over that with one coat let dry in sun I think for an hour and hit it with the second coat and let dry in the sun for the rest of the day! If this guy is giving it to you for free take it! Cost me like 500$ to do it my self about 3 raptor liner kits. good luck

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My truck liner is Tuff Liner, it was professionally done but after 5 years no major problems

nyoffroad

If you pull the glass to spray I would tape of the pinch weld where the windshield mounts, some of these are a pretty tight fit and the added mils of the materiel could be a problem install new glass.
Other than that I got nothing!

DieselBob

If you pull the glass to spray I would tape of the pinch weld where the windshield mounts, some of these are a pretty tight fit and the added mils of the materiel could be a problem install new glass.
Other than that I got nothing!
I was just going to post the same concern. One thing I would do sense you need to replace the windshield anyway would be to remove it and check the seam for any rust and correct as necessary and also check the cowl area for rust in the seam area. Now is the time to fix these areas.

nyoffroad

I was just going to post the same concern. One thing I would do sense you need to replace the windshield anyway would be to remove it and check the seam for any rust and correct as necessary and also check the cowl area for rust in the seam area. Now is the time to fix these areas.
OH YEAH!! I forgot about the cowl/vent area! Check that out real good, here in NY leaves and pine needles like to get down in there and hold miosture, also under the W/S rubber that collect dirt and water and can rust. I've seen some old Chevy trucks that had rust hole on the INSIDE of the roof above the visors, all caused by dirt or a botched glass replacement.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks