• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Swing Out Tire Carrier Ideas and Advice

Hello Everyone! Another day another project right? So I have been thinking. I am tired (pun intended) of carrying my spare in the trunk and I want to make a swing out tire carrier. I am aware that there have been lots of posts about this on the forums, however the reason why I am making this post is because I am persuing kind of a specific idea that I didn't see much content on. I want to make a tire carrier with the least modifications possible. The goal is to make a mount that bolts onto the existing bumper, without having to touch the tailgate or body. A buddy of mine sent me a photo of someone who did something similar, however I do not have the original soure, so I feel bad not being able to give proper credit to the photo. None the less though, I wonder if I have to reinforce the bumper for this? Is there anything else I should be aware of before embarking on a project like this? I can probably weld up a decent frame, but my concerns are the integrety of the bumper, and if there is anything else I need to alter. Thanks everyone. If you got pics post em up!

Attachments

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Frame rails are close, tie into them. Use the bumper as a trim piece? Get what I am saying? Not much stress on bumper, almost all transferred to frame, but "looks" like it is attached there. Just an "ideare" LOL

I know this was an old thread of mine, but I am still working on this project. By frame rails, you mean where the D rings hook up to? I am not sure how I would go about making something for that. I noticed that the bumper is held on with several bolts, so I wonder if I will be able to use those? Although I don't know if the bumper supports can take that kind of weight.

richingalveston

That looks like a jeep bumper cut and modified to attach to the bumper of the 1009. I had a buddy with jeep that had a swing out carrier that looked exactly like that one except the bumper part is cut out. the top swing out part is the same.

maybe this person modified a jeep product?

Drock

Well you clearly have welding skills if your considering making this carrier. So what's so scary about drilling holes in the body? If you change your mind you can just weld them up again.

cucvrus

So what's so scary about drilling holes in the body?

Unless you are going to drill thru both panels and put in a reinforcement panel on the body. I would advise against drilling and mounting to the body. I have installed these back in the day. I seen a kit that would mount on the right rear corner. These were mounted on PA Game / Fish Commission and Forestry vehicles. The bolts went thru both panels and had a reinforcement inside and crush tubes so it did not squeeze the panels together when the rack was tight. They looked great. In latter years they were the perfect rust haven. I have a few racks from different vehicles and thought about mounting them. But I never went forward. that is a lot of weight bouncing around back there on the sheet metal. And I don't haul much in my m1009 anyway that I would NOT need to move the spare tire.DSCF6472.jpgDSCF6474 (1).jpgDSCF6489.jpgDSCF2480.jpgDSCF6530.jpg

Drock

I don't know, I think it would be cheaper and easier, either finding one off of something in the junkyard and making it fit. Or just making a hole bumper from scratch. The one in the OP's pics looks simple at first glance, but if you really look at it, it's pretty complex. Plates shaped to bolt to the original bumper and bolts holes, cut outs to clear the hitch & lift rings + devising a latch system. Then you'd have to line it all up so it would latch properly. I priced out hinges & latches, and buy the time you buy those + tubing you'd be into it for around $400.00. Which is around the same price as a Smittybuilt one for a Jeep. :shrugs:

1009er

best way to find out about this tire carrier is message the guy. his name is starlight on here. I found it by searching swing out tire. I don't know how to attach links on here but the post is HMMWV swing out tire carrier on M1009

scooter421

best way to find out about this tire carrier is message the guy. his name is starlight on here. I found it by searching swing out tire. I don't know how to attach links on here but the post is HMMWV swing out tire carrier on M1009
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I'm almost finished my M1009 tire carrier. Many of us have struggled with the space consumption of the spare tire mounted in the back and figured I'd share my solution. I used a Smittybilt XRC 2 carrier and adapted it to the M1009. The wheel holder is fab'd to fit the 6x5.5 lug pattern. What comes with the XRC carrier is strictly for the Jeep lug pattern. I replaced the metal tubes for the D-rings which are about 4 inches longer than stock. The receiver has to rotate 90deg to avoid damage when dropping the tailgate. I ordered the U-Box Jerry can holders on Amazon. I had to make up 2x4 inch risers for the Jerry can holders and use longer bolts (7 inch). The XRC 45deg supports for the tire carrier are too close together for the fuel can holders and span of the stock 31" tire. I still need to make up and install a security device/plate to keep the cans from getting stolen but I'll get there. I'm putting a snow plow blade marker on the receiver as a reminder NOT to drop the tailgate until the receiver has been rotated. I'll be looking for a replacement tailgate at some point if I don't!

Scooter...

Attachments

Last edited:

scooter421

Thanks, it's doing great. I've had no issues with the set up so far. I've not taken it offroad yet but around town and getting groceries I've had zero problems. I've had full fuel cans on it for a short trip getting groceries, without issues or any movement. Once I lock the carrier handle, there is no movement in the mount at all. I stood on it (165 lbs) while my wife rotated the bracket full swing out and in for an early test to see what might happen with fuel cans on it. No issues, I don't plan on rolling with the carrier swung out anyway!

Scooter...

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks