• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Tailgate - Body Work Question

cmroles

I don't know too much about bodywork, so I hope this isn't a stupid question...

From the pictures attached, is this tailgate repairable, or should I just be looking for replacement? I haven't had a chance to take it to a shop, and figured I get some "educated opinions" before potentially wasting time.

My best guess is that somebody caused this damage by backing into something with the tailgate lowered...

Other than this, the tailgate is in great shape so I hate to replace if its economical not to.

Attachments

justinwregier

Depending on how much rust is spread under the paint will determine your repair costs. I dont weld but I know you cant fix rust. It has to be removed and replaced. If you or a pal can do that kind of work it looks possible. An auto shop may charge you more than a replacement but either direction would lead to a clean tailgate. New or used part replacements are solid fixes for those of us without welding options.

K5 BLAZER/SUBURBAN/TRUCK PARTS
LMC Truck Parts - Page 25

topgun217

I believe he's talking about the bottom rubber seal that goes under the fiberglass top. You can get them through LMC Truck. The plastic end is attatched to it. I'm not for certain w/o looking, but I'm pretty sure you can buy a tailgate skin. If its not rusted too bad, you can cut the bad section out with a plasma cutter and replace it with new metal but your gonn have a heck of a time getting the bend just right.

Try a junk yard first, then maybe a replacement tailgate. THe tail gates are notorious for rusting, but usually along the bottom.

Good luck !

Last edited:

SPCHowe

Not sure what it is by I just got an M1009 from Nellis with the same gouge in my tailgate, must be why when I opened it up to clean out the bottom there was about five fistfuls of wet sand.

ranchhopper

That is common for the tailgate to crack there I just weld them back together the twisting and vibration does that almost every 1009 I bought has that to a certain degree depends on where the truck was more on road driving less cracking.

lavarok

It would seem to be a common point of failure on the m1009 tailgates. I have small cracks forming on both of mine. Luckily, I have one perfect tailgate waiting to be swapped with one of them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks