• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 temp gauge

REDWOLF

Looking to install a temp gauge in my stock m1009. What have you guys used that have done this. Don't like the idiot light. Never had a problem with her over heating, just want to block of the radiator in the winter to get more heat in the cab and would like to be able to keep a eye on the temp. I only drive about twenty minutes to work and I don't get a lot of heat from her when it is below 30 degrees out side.

cucvrus

You can just stick the sending unit in the hole where the idiot light sending unit is on the drivers side front head. Or in the back top side of the passengers side rear head. Across from the glow plug temp sending unit. Your choice. Strill others use the HMMWV coolant manifold and put the sending unit in one of the available ports on the coolant crossover manifold.

rsh4364

Some guys install sending unit in the top of water pump by removing the existing plug,it's said to not be as accurate as sending unit in the head,but should give a ball park reading.

the skull

As cucvrus said, I put a humvee crossover on mine, but I had a leaking radiator, so I did several
things at the same time. I used a Summit double gauge setup, they are on sale sometimes for
cheap. The Summit gauges I ordered were black with a black bracket. Fits perfect under the
ashtray, screw holes line right up.

cucvrus

004.jpgThis area also makes a nice place for added gauges. Next truck I done I was able to fit 3 in the radio cover plate. Won't let me load that picture. you can see it has the room for 3 gauges. i split the cluster cover so the bottom part can stay intact and attached to the dash when the top part is removed. See the tab I added to aid in holding the upper cover in place.

AECS

I took my crossover to a Machinist friend of mine and had a boss drilled and tapped in it, cause I wanted that location and was to cheap to spend 20 bucks on a Humvee crossover...

Drock

The hmmwv crossover is going to be the best spot to put it period + it gives you extra threaded bosses for electric fans and such. You can install the sensor in place of the dummy light sensor to get you by. But your only getting a reading from that 1 head. The only way to get a true (TOTAL) reading of what your engine is doing is to have the sensor just behind, or upstream of the thermostat. The thermostat is the control mechanism of your cooling system thus is the best place to take your reading.

m1008chevy

I put mine in the water pump plug, the hottest reading i've gotten in the summer is 160. Not a very accurate place to put it, but still better than the stock light.

Drock

I put mine in the water pump plug, the hottest reading i've gotten in the summer is 160. Not a very accurate place to put it, but still better than the stock light.
yeah that's what I did at first too. The water pump boss is too cold and the dummy light boss on the head is too hot. It's simple, if you look at any new car their all mounted just behind the thermostat.

cucvrus

I have mine on the right rear top side of the head. I did the temperature gauge more as a novelty item. I seldom look at it anyway. It always seems low temperature to me. Takes a lot to get a CUCV hot when you keep them maintained well. The original light I just kept operational. All systems are go we have a green light. Fire at will. I'm not driving a CUCV for fuel mileage or comfort. I'd get a Prius for that.

M1008BOV

I put a NOS hmmwv gauge in mine next to the volt gauge. I too put the sensor in the water pump. It reads cool, but I know where "normal" operating temp is on it. That way my dummy light is still functional.

I am curious about the crossover as well.

My setup:
IMG_20140922_181040.jpg

Drock

Well here's the part #12554091, but you may get better search results by just calling is "Hmmwv cooling crossover" or something similar. I bought mine on Ebay for about $60.00. there's a couple good ones on there right now between $40.00-$60.00

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can just stick the sending unit in the hole where the idiot light sending unit is on the drivers side front head. Or in the back top side of the passengers side rear head. Across from the glow plug temp sending unit. Your choice. Strill others use the HMMWV coolant manifold and put the sending unit in one of the available ports on the coolant crossover manifold.
Is the HMMWV crossover a direct fit on the 6.2?
No modifications?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks