• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009: Things I've learned

bigginstactical

Things I've learned about my M1009;
If its electrical and has a connection clean it. If the connection is clean, clean it again. Wiggle everything! Pull on all connections, even new ones. If you put in a new relay assume its bad. Wiggle the posts, wiggle the wires, and double check everything. When it works smile and be happy! When it doesn't, smile and be happy again because you missed the previous steps so its your fault. If its a battery it probably needs to be replaced.... and since there should be two you buy both. Orange glow from your alternator is not common nor good for anything near or in your vehicle. Keep wrenches or sockets ready to pull battery cables at any moment. If you have no patience you have no business owning an M1009. Its cool and it runs.... today, so I'm happy! Tomorrow I test my first alternator rebuild. I do believe I have finally figured out the mystery of the big "click" and no turn over. The person who previously installed the doghead relay broke a stud on it. It appeared to be fine, continuity test proved it to be fine. It failed the wiggle test! It was making me mad that the rig would run so well then all of the sudden won't start. Everything I did was nothing that didn't need to be done anyways and in doing so discovered many potential issues that are now adverted. Any new owner should take all the electrical apart clean rinse and repeat. Pull the starter and clean mounting surfaces and connections. Pull gauges and clean them and also the ground on the left inside the dash. Not only do you learn a ton about your vehicle but you can definitely find some issues you wouldn't normally notice. My alternator rebuild kit has a different capacitor in it then normal so I will let you know if it works out or not. I bough my kit from ASP. It seems to fine so fare but have not installed it. More to come as I'm sure I'll lean a lot more haha!

Attachments

my86m1009

I don't think you can be more right. I love my M1009, but she gives me trouble, but everytime you cruise with the windows down makes everything worth it!

gungearz

This is so true... I studied these trucks before I ended up with my deuce. I've heard nothing but problems with cucv's and wiring issues. I wonder why... I've not yet experienced any wiring issues with my mv yet. Good luck to ya...

MarcusOReallyus

Yep, wiggling is good. A meter is great, a meter is necessary, a meter is your friend. Same for a test light.

And they'll both lie through their teeth in some circumstances! :D

Wiggling is good!

av8rnik

I am new to the forum and not sure if this is the best thread to pose the question so let me know if i should post it somewhere else. I am looking at a M1009 that is not all that far from me. Here is the description that is posted:

1984 Chevrolet CUCV M1009, 6.2 L Diesel, 4X4 works great, 81K original miles. Truck has 82K original miles. Engine has a brand new injector pump, new batteries, new power steering pump, new heavy duty class V, civilian trailer hitch mounted below the military pintle hitch. Also have other new parts as well, no time or ability to install or add to any longer as trying to buy a new home. Truck runs excellent and starts perfectly each time. Just drove to Little Rock, Arkansas and back with 15 ft. aluminum boat in tow, average 23 mpg, Hwy mileage without trailer has been excellent at 26/27 mpg. Great rubber all around, but might want to consider a little larger tire next time around. These are stock size tires and so they don't really help to stretch out the 4.56 gears (Also stock). Top speed is roughly 58 - 60 mph. The truck will certainly climb any mountain in 2 wheel drive but 4x4 works great too. Previous loaned from Military to South Carolina Division of Forestry where all service was regular each 2500 miles. Asking 5,750 or best offer, or consider trade.

I am going to check it out in person tomorrow but wanted to ask a few question before i go.
-Is the 1009 geared different than the 1008? I thought the 1008 that has the 4.56 gears?
-What in particular should i look at when i see it to get a feel for the condition, this is my first time getting something this old?
-Any other words of wisdom or anything i should be aware of?

THanks for the help!

bigginstactical

This really is the wrong thread to ask that in. All those questions I'm positive have been answered in other threads. Use the google search box up at the top right and you should find what you need. I believe the 1008 is different but I don't have any experience with one. Id check for rust, leaks, battery condition, does everything work? Get a good feel for the condition of the vehicle and go with your gut. By the sounds of the article it may be a decent rig but people embellish things. Also check belt tension, smoke in the exhaust. Most importantly make sure the headlight fluid is full and the muffler bearing is greased!! That's all covered in the TMs :) Read the TMs, I don't know which one it is but one of them goes through the normal maintenance checks that should be done. At the end of the day its just another vehicle. They all have their quarks. Use common sense.

Hasdrubal

Re; 84 M1009. The M1009 has 3.08 gears, all the pick-ups have 4.56. If it does have 4.56, I seriously doubt his math skills, claiming 26/27 mpg.

MarcusOReallyus

bigginstactical

Today I fabricated some new battery tie downs and re hooked up everything in the instrument cluster. Apparently my Speedo doesn't like to work and maxes out then wiggles around and goes to zero and then back up. Odometer seems to work fine. I also seem to have more then full fuel. Oh the joys of the M1009 haha!

Skinny

More than full fuel...your CUCV is producing diesel...SWEET!!!

All of those things are very true. I don't think the electrical systems are failure prone or weak. They are succeptable just like anything else to corrosion and poor connections. On a CUCV, that means twice as many charging problems can pop up. Let's not forget that people would rather hack a repair than just learn how the hybrid charging system functions. Once you get it dialed in, the CUCV electrical system works fine.