• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Tires and Lift

BigB84

What's Up Guys,

I recently bouthg a M1009, from Camp Beauregard near Ft Polk, La. I'm gonna be honest and say that its a throughly used army veh, the interior is not that great w/ cracks on the dash, worn seats and dust/dirt everywhere; however, all I needed was two batteries and a new ignition switch and she started and has been running ever since. I'ts been about 3mnths now and i would like to ditch the stock wheels/tires and upgrade. It came with 31" goodyears on stock steels. For now I would like to run some 33" tires on pro-comp16" wheels. My question is: Does anyone know if I need any type of lift. I have have heard different things from differnt stores/sites/friends. Most of what I've heard so far is that: If I don't go bigger than 33's I shouldn't need a lift. Any suggestions? Any more info?

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Depends on the wheel. If you use a 10" wheel, you may need to nip the fender a bit. 8" wheels would fit better as far as fender clearance.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I can't tell you about the after-market rims, but I ran 33" Swamper TSL's on the stock rims on my 1009 without a lift. I later added a 2" Skyjacker system and ran 35" MT's with just a small snip off of the fender lips.

If you are going to buy new rims, then you might as well get some 15x10's since you will probably get bored with the 33"s after a while and want to go even bigger.

Welcome to SS!

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Our 84 is running 33" tires with no modification at all no rub no clearance issues. The truck looks so much better with the bigger tires I would post a picture of it but it is 7,000 miles away.

84cucv1ton

i guess it really up to what you want to do. i know a guy with a 4" kit with 33s and i know a guy with 35s, no lift and cut fenders.

BigB84

Probably not gonna cut any fenders. I am considereing "add-a-leafs" that will give 1.5" to 2" without any major mods, and the 33's. My orginal plan was 6" lift with 35's however total cost was al little too much for what i got to play with right now. :?

Attachments

kingsley

lift and wheels

I am running humvee rims, the wrangler bias, and a 3" lift from tough country. No trimming required.

She is one hell of a beast! I love her.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: lift and wheels

If you're going add a leafs, get a good dental plan. The last time I used them they liked to knock the teeth right out of my head.

BigB84

RE: lift and wheels

OK! If I don't go with the "Add-a-Leafs", and but complete spring packs for 2'inch lift, Can I do the swap myself, without touching the steering arm or any other components. Do I need to bring it to a 4x4 shop for installation or could I do the swap in my garage.

smalltruck

What I did with mine was a 4 inch tuff country HD springs in front and a Sky mfg shackle flip in the rear. For tires and wheels I got Pro-comp mud terrains and American racing 15x10 aluminum wheels. I haven't had to do any trimming to the fenders and the ride is way better than stock. The shackle flip can be done at home in your garage. You need a drill, 4 inch angle grinder hammer and chisel.

If you lift these trucks over 2 inches you will have bumpsteer issues and maybe some turning radius problems. These can be compensated for. Just takes time and money to get things right.
Good Luck
PS heres a picture mine and a buddies in the snow last winter

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Smalltruck, good advice and neat trucks. Welcome aboard! That snow 4 wheelin brings back some good memories. Oh to play in snow again.

ojsdna744

Re: RE: M1009 Tires and Lift

mangus580 said:
Honestly, I dont think it will 'look' right with 33's and no lift.

My 2cents
Actually, I put 33s on mine and it looks great! I went with 33x10.50 tires to mimic the "tall and skinny" look most MV tires give you. They look like they belong on there, and it helps bring down the rpms on the E-way!!

I'll see if I can find a picture and post it up.

Armada

I only went one inch taller and one inch wider on mine, 32x11.5. I used the stock rims. Also added a 2 inch lift, although it didn't need it to clear the tires.

Attachments

BigB84

Thanks guys, great advice. I'll post some pics when i've decided on and have all the finances for tire/wheel combo. Hopefully within the nest month if it all flys with the wife.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
If I can get my son to shoot some pictures of ours it looks good with the bigger meat. I also let him dark tint the rear windows and now she looks really good.

AJMBLAZER

They'll fit 33x12.5R15's if you use the factory rims (15x7?) or 15x8's with 3.75-4" of backspacing. The issue is keeping the tires off of the fenders and the drag link. Too far in or out and you're rubbing something.
This is provided the springs haven't sagged too much but it should work. If you flex the wee out of it they'll rub but you can almost do that with stock sized tires anyways.

Keep in mind that you have 3.08 gears in the axles...so even a 31" tire is kinda big for that gear. If you want to go much taller than stockish and actually have performance it's time to start considering bigger axles and lower gears.

The beauty of these things is that they can be torn down and rebuilt in your garage (mostly). Add-A-Leaves work great...IF you get the long aal's that go under the top leaf in the pack. Get the short ones that go on the bottom and be prepared to lose fillings. For the money though, you can get a decent 2" spring lift and install it yourself for not much more. Steering is sensitive on these so just about any amount of lift requires appropriate steering correction.

ojsdna744

AJMBLAZER said:
Keep in mind that you have 3.08 gears in the axles...so even a 31" tire is kinda big for that gear. If you want to go much taller than stockish and actually have performance it's time to start considering bigger axles and lower gears.
:ditto: And also, did you say performance in regards to the M1009? :roll:

AJMBLAZER

Regear one so that it's actually correctly geared.

My 1008 isn't a quarter mile machine or anything but with the 4.56 gears and 36" tires it actually holds it's own at stop lights and keeping up in traffic. There's no reason a M1009 couldn't be similar. Some 3.73 or 4.10 geared axles (preferably bigger than those two 28 spline 10 bolts) and it'd happily turn 33's or 35's all day long. 8)

K5NUTT

Owning many K5's over the years i have found the perfect combo is a 4 inch lift with 33's.
Add traction devices to the rears and your in rather good shape.
I started with Auburn Pro series lockers and was quite impressed with what they could do.
Although eventually i moved on to a 6 inch lift....35's..trimmed the fenders...added a detroit locker in the rear...and enjoyed wheelin.
Course we have gone way beyond these days and i have went to full x-over steering in the front and loaded the 10b with chrome moly parts...super joints....4.88's and an arb...but thats another story entirely.

DW

Attachments