• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1009 Tires?

I would suggest using the search function. This topic has been covered dozens of times.

But the general consensus is that 33" tires will fit without a lift, but minor trimming might be needed depending how worn the springs are, how wide the tires are, and the backspacing of the rims.

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are many threads, so search is your friend.

Basically, from my own experience, 33x12.50's fit but are just wide enough that they may rub at certain points going over bumps (where they rub depends on the truck, my two trucks rub in different places).
33x10.50's don't rub at all.

Currently I have a 1009 wearing each size tire. Both wore 12.50's, and when the one remaining set of 12.50's wear out, I will replace them with 10.50's too.

Cheers

reeddavid

Thanks for the help!

One other question which tire do you recommend for best mpg? I will only be using for daily driver. I'm 15 and really want one as my first vehicle! :)

Falken Wildpeak A/T, Firestone Destination A/T, Kumho Road Venture A/T, and Yokohama Geolander A/T have good tread for on-road driving, but can handle some offroad too. So they would behave well on the roads and offer the better MPG's.

BFG All-Terrain T/A KO tires have a good reputation, and have a bit more aggressive tread. General Grabber AT2 are great tires also. They are good on-road and offroad, and work almost as well as dedicated snow tires in winter. They have a slightly more aggressive tread like the BFG A/T's, but are a bit cheaper than BFG's, Goodyear's, Dick Cepek's, etc.

I don't think a 1009's MPG's will be affected too much by tread. Diameter and width will play a bigger role.

Oh, I see what you were getting at. The narrower the tire, the less friction there is on the road, so the better the fuel economy. Diameter-wise: going from a 30" tire to 33" will net you a little better fuel economy on the highway, but slightly worse in stop-and-go traffic.

What kind of stuff are you looking to do with the truck? And what kind of tires are you looking for; road, all-terrain, mud, etc?

Questions are good, ask away, there's lots of smart and experienced guys on SS. But definitely look into the search function, just about any question you may have has probably been covered at least once. And just look around on the site in general. There are some awesome build threads on here to give you some inspiration. There are also a lot of "What to look for in my first CUCV" threads too.

Other good places to look are the CUCV Wiki http://www.steelsoldiers.com/content.php?2-CUCV-Wiki and the Technical Manuals are full of good info too.

reeddavid

Something that is good for year round even in snow mostly for road, has 16.5 inch rims I think 12.5 inches wide, what do you recommend? Thanks!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The stock M1009 tire is 15" in diameter. A 16.5" wheel is a unusual for this truck.

reeddavid

I didn't personally look at the truck, but the ad says 16.5 inch tires, unless I just mis understand I'm new to this why couldn't 16.5 inch rims just be put on?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could put some 24" rims on if you want. Was just saying the 16.5" is unusual.

all the info others have provided is based on a 15" rim.

a word of advice. If you are looking at ads and want additional info, let us know that. It doesn't waste our time.

Last edited:
I didn't personally look at the truck, but the ad says 16.5 inch tires, unless I just mis understand I'm new to this why couldn't 16.5 inch rims just be put on?

Is it the 1009 for sale in Shawano on craigslist? The ad does say 16.5 tires. You can't really tell what size they are in the pics, but they look like stock 1009 rims and tires. If that is the one, it looks like a really nice 1009.

How open are you to a pickup ( M1008 )? There was a really nice looking one on Craigslist in Denmark, WI in the same price range as the 1009. It had a spray in bed-liner in the bed and the cab, sliding rear window, and looks like it had a little lift with 36" Humvee tires, which would make it more drivable at highway speeds.

Either way, seeing as the options are there, I would try and check both of them out since they are both pretty close to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks