• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 To Buy or Not

OD Heavy Hauler

Looked at a 1009 to buy but having second thoughts after seeing IP leaking badly. Want to know if that leak would cause a hard starting issue (drawing air in system). It started and ran for about 2 seconds and died out. After cranking 2-3 mores times it fired up. Thats when I saw the fuel leak. Truck cranks on cue it seems after initial slow start and warmed up. Then after its warmed up the IP leak slows down. I'm thinking it's going to need a new IP. What gives?

tamecrow

If the engine is running fine the pump just needs to be resealed. Cost you about 20 bucks for the kit. If you need a pump, you can get a good used one for less than a $100. A rebuilt one can be had for around $300-$400.

Last edited:

OD Heavy Hauler

The leak from the IP is coming from the throttle shaft on the vacumn switch side. Would that be a rebuild or just maybe some new o-rings. Wondering what kind of $$ i'm looking at before I decide on this vehicle. Thanks

mikelee

just my 2 cents but most of these trucks need an IP due to age if they have not been changed really worth doing just for peace of mind runs much better...

tamecrow

I would reseal the pump, then if it has a problem, replace it. You're only out 20 dollars plus your labor if it doesn't work out. I've resealed lots of pumps with success. Why throw money at a problem that may not exist?

OD Heavy Hauler

Are the seals ( o-rings ) a straight forward swap out? I'm assuming the IP doesn't have to be taken apart and can be done with common tools. Does the kit come with instructions and do most auto parts stores like NAPA carry them?

tamecrow

Are the seals ( o-rings ) a straight forward swap out? I'm assuming the IP doesn't have to be taken apart and can be done with common tools. Does the kit come with instructions and do most auto parts stores like NAPA carry them?
The pump will have to be removed to reseal it. I buy the kits at a local diesel repair shop. Here's a writeup on resealing a VW pump to give you an idea of what's involved. VWDieselParts.com :: View topic - VE injector pump assembly pictures. . The attached picture is the kit for the 6.2.

Attachments

OD Heavy Hauler

Is there a way to replace throttle shaft seal on vacumn switch side without tearing the pump down so far like in your VW link? Being new to this diesel stuff, that torn down pump looks scary to me. Thanks

tamecrow

Is there a way to replace throttle shaft seal on vacumn switch side without tearing the pump down so far like in your VW link? Being new to this diesel stuff, that torn down pump looks scary to me. Thanks
I think that's an "O" ring. There are a few "O" rings and gaskets that can be replaced without tearing the pump apart, but not sure which ones offhand because I usually reseal the entire pump.

That diagram looks scarier than it actually is. If you can put a carburetor kit in, you can reseal an injection pump. You're not rebuilding the pump, you're just cleaning and resealing it. Take pictures as you disassemble it for reference when reassembling. Most kits include an exploded view with instructions. Google reseal 6.2 diesel pump. Youtube has some videos as well. That'll give you an idea of what you're up against if you decide to tear it apart.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks