• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Top Removal - Would it work?

Braunchitis

I really like driving my M1009 without the top, but I really don't like finding another person and wearing myself out to take it off.

At our house, there is an old satellite dish post (pretty sturdy) about 10 feet from a tree. I was thinking I could put 4 eye bolts in the top of the hardtop, run a rope through them, lift with a pulley mounted on the satellite post, tie it, and drive off from underneath it.

I think this might work, except for I'm not sure about what kind of support might be needed at the eye bolts. I was thinking two 2x4s running across the inside of the top (one at the front, one in back) that the eye bolts bolted into (2 eyebolts in each) would be enough. Obviously, I really don't want to have the bolts break through the fiberglass due to lack of support.

What do you think? Any better ideas?

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
I ran 2x4's under the top (between the truck and top) with eye bolts in the 2x4's and some chains to lift it off. The top itself is pretty thin in areas and would probably break. It was pretty heavy doing it by myself.

Attachments

mangus580

Looking at the above pic... you might want to put something rigid between the 2x4's so they cant slide either way as you lift.

When I took mine off.. me & my bro picked it off and carried it away. Its not hard to do at all with 2 people.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like Djfreema's idea (with mangus580's suggestion to keep them from sliding), probably the simplest and most cost effective. I also thought of using flat hooks under the sides attached to wire rope slings.

Braunchitis

The hardest part about taking the top off with two people is finding a second person. :razz:

I was hoping eyebolts through the top would work, because they would come in handy for other stuff (tying something to the roof, like a ladder, for example).

What I might try is looping 2-3 ropes lengthwise down the top (under the roof) after I slide it back a bit, then run 2 perpendicular ropes under those, and lift the top with those.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i have been taking campers off by myself since i was 18. and its not hard if you have overhead suports. i used the rafters in my rear shed the last time. i drive under it and by using 2x4 that are bolted together to form a box i have ropes at the four corners and by lifting each one up a few inches at a time. it is safe for you and the camper. the top can not take any kind of eye bolt or screws as it will just pull out. its not strong on top at all. the way you are wanting cane be done but not safely with the one post n tree set up. you might could do a 4x4 post thing at 4 corners and drive between them and then by using 2x4s and some sort of bolts, pins, or rope set up fasten them to the 4x4s just thing if it feel you would be in classified looking for another top looking like this :oops: TIm

Braunchitis

Skip to the 9:30 mark of this video (from "The Gods Must Be Crazy") to see one way to take the top off (a Land Rover). Could work for a M1009 to, I guess.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSX0ETu7irE&feature=related[/media]
This is how I do it now. I lower the back glass, unbolt the top, and pull it backwards a few inches. Then, put the ratchet straps between the top and the cab, go underneath, attach the ratchet to the hook on the end, pull out the slack, and ratchet it up. Takes about 5 minutes, and hardly any effort.

Attachments

jw4x4

I also wanted to be able to remove/install my top without relying on anyone else. I already had the lumber, 2x4's and solid hardwood 5x5's (that ductile water main is delivered to my jobsites with). I dug holes and sunk the posts 18" in the ground. Made sure they were wide enough to fit the 1009 between them. It is a little tricky maneuvering around the roll cage and spare tire rack, but it is so good to be self-sufficient.

Attachments

jw4x4

Jordo- make SURE you have all of the bolts out. Check under the rails. Then get in and put your back against the top and lift. If it hasn't been off for awhile (or ever), it is likely stuck tight. When I took mine off for the first time, it didn't want to budge at first. Take your time and try to lift straight up so it won't shift when it comes loose.

OL AG '89

Top will "widen" if stored off too long

There are obviously several ways to remove the top. I have never taken the top off my CUCv, but my son has a 1974 K5 with the full top. I rigged somethign up in the garage that allows him to drive under hook up to bottom rails, using 2"x2" steel tubing and then ratchet up to roof rafters in shop.

Easy enough, until we tried to put the top back on after a couple of weeks. The top has "grown" about 2" inches wider at the bottom..... I didn't think about the weight sitting on hte rails without anything, like cab bolts, holding its shape.
We rigged up a little jig and slowly, ove another two weeks brought the top back to shape without splitting the seams at the top or sides.

Unfortunately after all that work, we had a knot on one of the hooks come undone and the top dropped about 4 feet......... breaking the front corner on the drivers side......
I always wanted to learn how to wok with fiberglass.......

2deuce

My daughter put the top on her M1009 back on by herself in a rainstorm. The paint had some marks on one of the corners where I could see she was struggling but she got it on. She isn't a big girl but she can be very determined. She said it was very hard, but she had to get it on.

Greg