• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 towing an M105A2 trailer..

CycleJay

Hi guys.

Two questions.

Can that be done safely and without any damage,
just a short distance on the freeway between point A and Point B?
Is it possible?

Thank you..

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Search is your friend - this has been covered before.

Is it possible? Yes.

Is it safe? No.

Can you kill someone easily? Yes.

What can you do? Find a friend with more truck than you have.

Last edited:

Sephirothq

I have seen them towed with a Ford Crown Victoria already.

If the trailer is empty it is under 3000lbs. But with those 9.00 x 20 you have a bit of rotational energy. Plan you stops leave some space and if your truck is ok you should be fine.

K9Vic

A M105 is WAY to big and heavy for a M1009. It will rip off the stock pintle right from the bumper and you will likely kill someone when it flips over on the freeway.

A simple search would have found this answer in either the CUCV or trailer section.

CycleJay

My apologies for not searching first.
But a time constraint prompted me to just come out and ask a simple question.

Which has been answered, and replied to by me already.

Thank you, God bless all of you...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A M105 is WAY to big and heavy for a M1009. It will rip off the stock pintle right from the bumper and you will likely kill someone when it flips over on the freeway.

A simple search would have found this answer in either the CUCV or trailer section.

While it would take a prudent experienced person to try this event, I don't think that the end result will guarantee a flipped trailer. I know for a fact that the hitch will more than likely still be attached to the truck and the odds of flipping the 105 will be low. FWIW, I've done it more than once and in my experience, it's probably safer than flat towing a deuce with a deuce. At least the blazer outweighs the trailer nearly 2 fold.

CycleJay

Hello Recovry4x4,

My question has been answered, thank you.
You may close this thread now if you wish, and have the ability to.

Good day,

CycleJay

Patracy,

Like I said, my apologies. I did not think about that at the time.
It just seemed quicker at the time just to come out and ask.

Sorry..

Stratoghost

Threads like this are useful as the search results are not always the best due to the terms used. For example, I used the terms " best cucv trailer." The search removed the term "best" and only used "cucv" and "trailer." The results did not yield the thread "Correct trailer for a M1009", but did have this one, with which I used to find the correct one.

K9Vic

Trade the 105 in for a 101..!
If you have a welder and plasma cutter you can make a M105 trailer smaller & lighter. However I know the OP has either of these (past posts about what tools to buy & not having basic tools) so I would agree a 101 is much better. I also do not recommend towing a M101 without adding a receiver hitch to the frame and not using the bumper pintle. I had a M1009 that the eye lunette was ripped off from the bumper due to too heavy of a trailer. That setup is not that strong and $100-$150 is a small price to pay for peace of mind in safety.

Mike68

Cycle Jay,
Im a retired Deputy Sheriff and a combat firearms instructor and I always tell my class that the only stupid question is the one you dont ask!
Go easy on him guys at least he ask before he did something unsafe.

indy4x4fab

Banned
If you had a m1009 like jeremyk5's k5 then you would have the stopping power pulling weight and the ability to down shift and use the engine to help slow you down.

Here's a preview. Its a 1976 k5 frame, 1978 k20 axles, cucv rear bumper, indy4x4fab shackle flip kit on the rear, 6.2 tuned na diesel, sm465 four speed, np205 t-case, a 4 inches of lift in the front and 5.5 in the back, four wheel disk brakes, 36'' super swopper,s with a land mine prof 3/16 thick tread plate floor from fire wall to tailgate.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks