• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Towing Capacity

rgguin

I was reading the TM and it says the M1009 maximum towed load capacity is 1200 lbs for both cross country and highway travel. Tongue weight not to exceed 100 lbs. How much have any of you towed behind your M1009? I had hoped to tow my 16 foot trailer with my 2300 lb GPW on it? Looks like I will exceed the limit. :(

Thanks

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I was checking out a civi blazer a bit ago, and was told that with a class 3 hitch it was capable of 7000lbs. The hitch said 6000lbs though. I don't think there are any major differences that would effect towing capacity between the two versions.

Jetnoise400

I don't think the pintle hitch support bar on the M1009 looks as robust as a civvy class 3 does, so I'd be a bit hesitant to go beyond what the TM says IMHO. I've also been warned more than once that if you try to tow much of anything with an M1009, you really should get a good transmission cooler installed, or you'll be shopping for a good transmission rebuilder in short order.

Of course, your mileage may vary.....

rizzo

why would they put a pintle on it and only allow you to tow 1200. that is about what a M101 weighs.something isn't right with that number. I would think that 6k with the right hitch would be ok.

I have used the pintle from a M1009 to tow my M543. the pintle is plenty strong.

aren't the capacities on the plate on the door?

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Yeah I was suggesting the installation of a class 3 hitch that attaches directly to the frame to tow with. The pintle has its own ratings that are much lower.

The Reese website lists the hitch for the civi blazer:

Weight Carrying capacity
500lbs tougue weight
5000lbs gross trailer weight

Weight distributing capacity
750lbs tougue weight
7500lbs gross trailer weight

mangus580

If you look, the 1009 isnt supposed to tow the M101. I think the towing limit is created by a couple of factors...

The hitch is integral mounted in the bumper. I would suspect its not real strong with how its mounted

The 3.08 gears really prohibit any heavy towing. They make the tranny (yes even the TH400) slip like mad. I towed a friends ford tractor (think 8n size here) on his trailer one day, and I could not get out of his farm yard in high range. Tranny would just slip.

My suggestion? Add a class 3 hitch (will have to be modified to keep the military pintle setup), and change your gears to 3.42 minimum...

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I wonder why they put the pintle on it then?
Jockey trailers around the base or "worst case scenario" instances?

dilvoy

I agree that those 3.08 gears make the trans work hard. A gear in the range of 3.50 to 3.75 would have been a lot nicer in my opinion and would not have cost any more money, but a stronger locker in the rear may have been needed. As a Carryall or "get around" utility vehicle I think it is OK as is and I shure am glad they installed the diesel and turbo 400 for parts compatibility with the CUCV trucks.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As far as the trailers, the TM indicates that the M416 is the largest authorized trailer for the truck. It will drag more, thats just what the TM says.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The ability to tow with an M1009 is not the problem IMHO. However, the ability to stop could be, unless you have electric brakes (or a working surge brake). I towed two M332 ammo trailers (approx. 2,800 pounds each) from Richmond, VA to MD...simultaneously! Before I hear any gasps...if you are careful, keep your speed down, and watch the road, you'll be fine. By the way, as you might expect, I had NO brakes on the trailers and stopping was fine. The worst thing about towing with a Blazer is acceleration, which can be dangerous when merging onto a highway. Those two trailers weigh more than the Blazer itself. I stopped twice and checked everything out with no problems...and no problems with the transmission after the trip either. I did 50-53 mph the whole way...about 140 miles or so. The truck would have gone faster, but I did not want to push it too much...and the rearmost trailer would get a bit squirrelly any faster than 55 mph. I am not really anxious to tow that much weight with a Blazer again, but, if I had to, I would do it in heartbeat.

By the way, the Blazer DOES have a transmission cooling system. The transmission fluid is routed to a coil within the engine's radiator. Take a look at your trucks and follow the lines.

Bruce

Olney, MD
---------

1991 M149A2
1989 M932A2
1989 M925A2
1989 M101A2
1988 M977
1988 M105A2
1987 M1045
1987 M105A2
1985 M1009 (3)
1970 M149A2
1964 M129C
1963 M332 (3)

mangus580

BKubu said:
By the way, the Blazer DOES have a transmission cooling system. The transmission fluid is routed to a coil within the engine's radiator. Take a look at your trucks and follow the lines.
All automatic transmissions have a cooling system. I think he was implying adding an external cooler.

ida34

The stock cooler sucks. I have an old snow commander dodge truck and it has an auxiliary cooler that is the same size as an ac condenser. That is by far the best cooler set up I have ever seen on a stock truck and I have never seen an aftermarket cooler anywhere close to that size. Snowplowing is worse than anything else on the trans. I wish I could find a cooler like that one for my cucv.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, I know about the cooling systems on automatic transmissions. My point was that the stock cooling system on a CUCV works fine, although I would agree that an external cooler would be better. I am not sure what types of hauling you guys want to do. Stopping and starting a lot is tough on a transmission...but I drove 50+ mph for about three hours towing the weight of the truck with no problems. I would not hesitate to do it again. I did this a while ago and have put many miles on the truck since with no ill-effects to the transmission. I will say that I would have rather have towed with an M1008 if I had one.

Good luck towing!

Bruce

Olney, MD
---------

1991 M149A2
1989 M932A2
1989 M925A2
1989 M101A2
1988 M977
1988 M105A2
1987 M1045
1987 M105A2
1985 M1009 (3)
1970 M149A2
1964 M129C
1963 M332 (3)

motorolanut

I have towed up to 3000Lbs with the pintle, most people never notice the large bolt/nut combo beind the bumper that is attached to two steel L shaped bar re-enforcements attached to the frame behind the bumper. Now of course I was hauling at slow speeds less than < 45 mph. I would advise a external tranny cooler ( the biggest you can find, like the 20000lbs model). And have a Class III hitch installed if pullling a boat and or camper. Honestly the 308 gear ratio is not the best, but Hell this is not a $40,000 diesel dually either.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks