• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 towing M101A2 trailer

harryhr

I'm looking to replace the 16" wheels and tires on my M101A2 3/4 ton trailer with 15" rims 8 lug holes. Anyone know where I can get the 15" rims with 8 lug holes? Please let me know. I would appreciate it very much.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why do you need to change to 15"?

moved to wanted section.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
stepping down to a 15 will negatively affect your gvwr as a 15 rim & tire will not carry the same load. 15 inch 8 lug will probably be a specialty trailer item. Try e trailer or croft.

harryhr

harryhr

15" wheels/tires

I would like to haul my M101A2 trailer behind my M1009 (Blazer). With the 16" wheels and tires, when hooking to the Blazer the trailer tongue tilts downwards and along with the surge brake on the tongue puts a strain on the springs/shocks on the Blazer and makes the rear of the Blazer sit low. While on active army duty, our company towed the M101 trailers behind the M1009 and M1008's. They did tow much better with the M1008's than the M1009's. We did over weight the trailers with equipment (towed behind the M1009) on many occasions where the trailer support leg came in contact with the ground on uneven dirt roads and off road. Needless to say it beat **** out of the Blazers. I guess I'm going to have to search around for the older M101 trailer that had the 5 hole pattern tailer azel without the surge brake. I know the wheels were 16" but it would make it a little bit easier finding a 15" wheel. I'm not concerned about the weight because I won't be hauling anything heavy.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess at this point in time I am s-o-l. What if I beefed up the leaf springs by adding another leaf? Would that adversely affect anything mechanically like the drive train?
You can add a spring(s). My m101a2 had a higher weight rating and a lift kit installed for extended capacity as it was some type of gizmo trailer. Might need longer u bolts but should not be difficult to do.

harryhr

Thank you for the info. I was told by an uninformed person that adding a leaf spring would interfere with the gears in the pumpkin and also the drive shaft angle and could cause other problems. I kinda thought he did not know what he was talking about. Anyway when the weather gets better (Niagara Falls weather won't be till end of April), I will take the Blazer over to the truck spring shop about a mile and a half from my home and have them do the work. They have the proper tools that I don't have and I really don't want to get into something easy to do and find out that it's not that easy for me to do. Sometimes that's usually how my projects work out. Thanks again for the reply and info. Harry

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I misunderstood your problem. I was referring to the trailer. I had it the other way around.

Maybe remove springs from the m101 to lower it? It would decrease your weight rating but maybe riding level will help?

The folks on the cucv forum can help on the lift as I am not well versed with them. Post there for their help.

Hermannator

I own several M101A2 trailers and have sold two or three. The 16" rim with 8 lug bolt pattern has many advantages over many of the other rims found on older military trailers and even over the M1101 with HMMWV tires and rims.

The 16" Rims with 8 lug bolt pattern 6.5" with 235 85R 16 tire are universally obtained at Walmart, Tractor supply at a very reasonable price. The wheel & tire combination are $125-$170 and if you choose a more aggressive tread pattern, those 16" tires are also available at a reasonable cost. The same 8 lug bolt pattern matches my goose neck trailer and car hauler.

A much easier solution is to mount your pintle hitch on a variable height 2" adapter, so the height of pintle can be easily adjusted to make the trailer sit level. A B&w Tow and stow adjustable height 2 5/16 ball/ pintle is what I use behind my Jeep Grand Cherokee to tow the M101A2 trailers or a trailer with 2 5/16 hitch. I took a trailer to North Carolina and back this summer and barely noticed it behind the Jeep for the 3200 mile journey.

I added a bull dog square tube trailer jack so that it makes it easier to load the trailer on the Jeep, my dually, or any other standard tow vehicle.

There are lots of military trailers, trucks etc that need modification to make them more user friendly, The M101A2 whether a Kasel or other make is perfectly functional as is, without any modification. Just my opinion.

harryhr

I have an M101A2 trailer that I want to tow behind my M1009 Blazer. Because the trailer has 16" wheels and tires and a heavy surge brake on the tongue of the trailer, it tilts downward on the pintle hook lowering the rear of the Blazer. If I were to add leaf springs to the existing springs on the Blazer, would this create any problems to the drive train (ie. rear gears and drive shaft)? I want to level out the trailer somewhat so there is not much of a droop to the rear of the Blazer. Any information pros and cons would be much appreciated. Thanks, Harry

harryhr

Thank you for the info. It all sounds great but I would rather leave my M1009 Blazer stock not wanting to change over the pintle hook to a variable height hitch. I have one of those for my pickup truck so I can use the trailer for hauling wood etc.

Hermannator

It took me about two minutes to do a search on the walmart website to find two or three 235 85R 16 tire and rim combos that are the 8 lug 6 1/2 inch bolt pattern. I refer to Walmart because whether I am on the East Coast West Coast North or South, Walmart is a universal source of emergency items and more than enough space for me to pull our racing rig into the parking lot. After lots of trial and error, I got ride of an M105A3 because of the 22 inch truck tires because if one flats in a remote area it could cost $300-$400 for a replacement 10 x 22 tire.

I have suffered through lots of trailer and hitch mismatches over the years and I have learned that everything gets changed to a 2 5/16 compatible set up or a pintle system that lets me change the height of the pintle by 7-9 inches on my tow vehicle so I can pull any military trailer with a lunette or hook that attached the the pintle hitch. On some military trailers ( not the M101A2 have a lunette that can be pressed out and turned over to accommodate a lower pintle hitch.

If your CUCV has a fixed pintle, I would suggest changing from the fixed pintle and have them put in a 2" receiver tube on the tow vehicle that allows you to slip in a hitch that can be adapted to a number of different trailers, just in case you are ask to help a friend or you decide to buy a different trailer.

quickfarms

Your options are

Changing the Lunette on the surge brake to the adjustable height one

And adding air bags or an ad a leaf to the M1009. The problem with an ad a leaf is the truck will ride harder empty

Another option is replace the springs on the M1009 they probably have sagged over the years

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When one thinks about it, leaf or coil springs are really archaic - they're something of a compromise to a single loaded condition. I ran air bags on a '02 Toyota Tundra for years pulling a range of trailers. An M101A2 was one of them. Air bags are infinitely adjustable for varying conditions. I simply aired them up, usually from my shop compressor, but I've seen installations of small 12V compressors too. Besides adjusting the air pressure, the height can be adjusted with a couple of different offsets for the ball or brackets for the pintle hook. I hate seeing a truck & trailer combination that aren't level!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks