• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 trans problems!

Ilikemtb999

Well was on the way to the furniture store and while slowing down for a light, the truck started to chug like it was going to die and was making a grinding noise, I was able to quickly get off onto a side street and by the time I came to a stop it died. It felt the same as when you don't release a clutch with a manual trans and come to a stop.

I started it back up and it idles fine. As soon as you put it in gear it instantly dies.

I took a look underneath briefly and I'm not seeing any trans leaks, it also has fluid in it.

Any ideas? T-case? Converter lockup(can't remember if the th400 has lock up)?

I'm currently waiting for a tow truck to take it back home.

Ilikemtb999

That's exactly how it felt. I was going to drop the pan tomorrow and see what it looks like in there.

I'm wondering if its a pressure issue or if something let go inside the converter.

Depending on what I find in the pan/filter, is the converter something I can change without a full rebuild? The trans has 92k on it and never had a hiccup.

Iceman3005

If it is just the convertor, unbolt the trans inspection cover, unbolt the torque convertor from flex plate (6 bolts), get several jacks or a transmission jack, support

transmission/transfer case, unbolt the 2 bolts in the middle of the cross-member, unbolt the four bolts holding cross-member to frame, remove cross-member, remove speedo cable

from transfer case, unhook transfer case wire(on the right top side on transfer case push tab and pull up), unhook transmission shifter linkage, unhook transmission wire on left side, pull steel vacuum line off of right

side of trans, remove transmission cooler lines, lower transmission/transfer case about 6 inches, unbolt transmission from engine(6 bolts), remove transmission/torque

convertor/transfer case, pull torque convertor from transmission. Installation of new torque convertor: Fill torque convertor with 3 or 4 quarts of fluid, lube lip of TQ with trans

fluid, get a new pump/TQ seal for transmission(that way you don't have to remove trans because it probably start to leak some time later), install TQ on transmission(make sure

it goes in all the way, you will have to rotate the TQ(torque convertor) while pushing on it to get it to engage into pump. Reinstall transmission/transfer case in reverse order of

removal.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks