• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Transmission Barfed from Dipstick

rustystud

I have never see "a length of tubing" on that vent line.
As you said that vent has a flange on it & it will rotate.
Mine came with one as did many others I've seen and worked on. What I think happened is when the shop mechanics serviced them they would check for fluid leaking and then forget to reinstall them. Left loose the hose would flop around until eventually falling off. I know for a fact that any truck that was set up for any kind of water crossing had vent tubes on all the axles and transmission and transfer-case.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rustyshackle, if/when you decide to install a cooler, do take a look at the kind that looks like a small radiator (rather than finned tubing).
Those are quite a bit more efficient, and generally easier to install since they have flanges at the ends. Unless one considers plastic ties pushed through the radiator an "installation".

cucvrus

Just remember once you install it and the transmission goes south. That is another part that will need to be removed and replaced or flushed out once this go south. This cooler is not the answer to the current problem. I knew the answer that we gave was going to be swept aside. I hope it works out for you. But the pictures show a 30 year old transmission that is leaking at every seal and collecting dust every day. The vent tube is the only area I see that is not leaking. It may be clogged. I doubt it. If you depend on this vehicle and want to save money. Have it repaired while it is just seals and minor parts. or burn it up and get into more expensive parts. Opinion only. Not proven. But worth mentioning. It's broke fix it. Good luck. 1 st class is only a few dollars more.

Just remember once you install it and the transmission goes south. That is another part that will need to be removed and replaced or flushed out once this go south. This cooler is not the answer to the current problem. I knew the answer that we gave was going to be swept aside. I hope it works out for you. But the pictures show a 30 year old transmission that is leaking at every seal and collecting dust every day. The vent tube is the only area I see that is not leaking. It may be clogged. I doubt it. If you depend on this vehicle and want to save money. Have it repaired while it is just seals and minor parts. or burn it up and get into more expensive parts. Opinion only. Not proven. But worth mentioning. It's broke fix it. Good luck. 1 st class is only a few dollars more.
Rick if you'd get out of your own BS train of thought you'd see that I posted about how I was going to have the items rusty stud mentioned checked out on my trans. The cooler is something I'll be adding after it's fixed. Settle the heck down.

cucvrus

Have a great day. I knew you would take offense to my opinion on this. The cooler will do nothing is my point. No BS train about it. You want to do everything on the cheap. And that is obvious. Being cheap and owning an MV are oxymoron's. Don't over think my comments too much. I am being truthful. Why else would you call 2 shops and then post that we are all wrong. Good luck. I don't need to get flak for an issue you brought to the thread and did not like my opinion on. I am a calm as I ever am. I would just do it right or not do it at all. Thank you for the expected reply. Now fix your transmission and keep moving on. You ask the question.

1) The vent tube is plugged. Most common reason.
2) The filter is bad-either plugged or cracked and sucking air.
3) The filter "pick-up" tube is cracked. Very common with the plastic tubes. I only use the metal ones myself.
4) The oil pump is going out. Use the main pressure port to check the transmissions pressures.
5) The Torque Converter is draining back after the engine is shut-off. Only happens when the vehicle is first started.
6) The Direct Clutch seals are leaking. This will require a total rebuild.
There are other issues that will cause this to happen but these are the most common ones that I've experienced.
UPDATE:
I unplugged the vent tube myself and printed the above list and took it to a transmission shopp. They checked everything on the list and the fluid. Everything checked out good so I added a B and M trans cooler and have closed the book on this one for now.