• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Transmission Cooler

Rangie

Hi Folks,

I run a mildly civilianised '84 M1009 (6.2 Diesel, 12v Converted, 700R4, 10-Bolt 6-Lugs).
I do a bit of towing (up to 3500kg trailer + load) around Northern Scotland (hilly in parts) and would like to give the trans a bit more protection. I don't thrash it and let it do it's own thing, it's perfectly happy, but for peace of mind (and that trans)....

Normal engine water temp is 150-160, some hills it peaks at around 180 but comes down quickly after so the engine coolant system is working nicely. I'd like to keep the trans around the same (150-160).

I intend to fit the cooler after the autobox but before the radiator worm, I believe this is best in this application.

Are there any aftermarket kits members would recommend fitting for a trans cooler?
Extra fan cooled or normal ram air?
Is there any benefit from having an engine oil cooler as well or is this largely unnecessary for this application?

Thanks,
Alec.

Barrman

I don't know what you have access to over there. We have transmission cooler kits in just about any auto parts store. Putting one of those before the radiator is a good idea.

However, the cheap cooler are just that, cheap with push on hose connections. They work but if a hose pops off you are stranded. The other end of the spectrum is the excellent "stacked plate" type coolers with AN fittings and lines. Lots more money with lots more peace of mind and reliability. How much you want to spend?

Rangie

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the responses.

I saw the $40 cooler kits with push-on connectors and i'm not impressed with the look of them! It has to be barb fittings and worm drive/O-Clips as a minimum!
The BM Racing one looks fine, good recommendation.

Money-wise, up to $150-200 max I'd say.
I see single and double-pass ones, with and without fans.

Would there be any benefit from having an engine oil cooler as well?
A couple of the BM ones with a switched twin pusher fan in front for long hauls?

Alec.

Jozseph

Review Flex-a-lite Products

Such as the Heavy Duty Fluid Coolers 45904

More than enough cooling area.

Regards

Joseph

Ilikemtb999

I run that same B&M kit as dieselbob and it keeps my temps nice and low as long as there's airflow but offroad on trail it doesn't do as much so I plan on adding a fan over mine.

The passenger side cooler in the radiator is for oil

Rangie

Hi Folks,

Well I've gone for a similar one to the BM one, but from Summit instead.

I'll fire up a few photos once I'm done.

Guess no-one runs an engine oil cooler then? My water temp is good and responsive, it should be OK I guess but I know how these engines prefer to run at cooler temps where possible...

Alec.

Ilikemtb999

I think the stock oil cooler is sufficient. Also my truck rarely gets higher than 180 for coolant temp. Trans temps have gotten over 200 but that's at high elevation crawling.

Last edited:

richingalveston

come to texas today where it will be 103 today in the shade. The trucks need a tranny cooler in the south. You are probably fine if you never leave CO. I know you have summers there but that is like spring here.

Ilikemtb999

come to texas today where it will be 103 today in the shade. The trucks need a tranny cooler in the south. You are probably fine if you never leave CO. I know you have summers there but that is like spring here.

I was referring to the oil cooler, not trans cooler. I mentioned above that I'm running the same b&m trans cooler as what was posted.

i edited my second post to not confuse anybody.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks