• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Transmission Issue - newbie

Whit

Hi Folks.

Newbie here. Just became the proud owner of a M1009, taking delivery Monday night. Went for first test drive last night and the transmission does not shift out of first gear. Reverse works. The problem is when in Drive it will not move out of first to second or third gears. The fluid looks clean and pink, at the right level. How do I troubleshoot and (hopefully!) resolve this? Thanks in advance!

Whit

wkbrdngsnw

Keep revving it and it should shift around 3000 rpm, if it doesn't your looking at the governor or valve body. If it does check for vacuum at the modulator and the valve on the side of the injection pump.

TulsaME

Here is a previous thread with some info... http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/52443-shift-issues-m1008.html There are others that I read to fix a similar problem with my M1009.

The search function will become your best friend on this website. There is tons of good information just waiting to be discovered. I use the advanced search putting in a key word or phrase then pick the appropriate forum to search in... in this case "Vacuum regulator" in CUCV forum.

Welcome to the site.

mistaken1

It could be as simple as the vacuum hoses that feed vacuum to the transmission.

There is a short one that links a hard line to modulator on the side of the transmission. Trace that hard line back up to where it changes to rubber again. Replace those lines no matter what but that simple act may fix your issue.

Whit

Ta Daa! Fixed it!

Thanks for the responses, gents. I also searched around on old posts and got eddicated a bit. I replaced the vacuum lines and the modulator valve, and the tranny shifts! What a relief!

Next will be to adjust the VRV to get it to soften the hard shifts up a bit. Then start working on replacing hoses and belts.

Looks like the bushings in the front end are pretty dry rotted too: there's another project, probably a several-beer one.

Hey, this thing may be ready to roll by the time I get my SF97!!

Anyway thanks to all.

Whit

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks