• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Transmission Rebuild or Replacement ?

Sverige

My transmission is sticking between 1st and 2nd gear but does shift after increasing RPMs with a hard shift. I replaced the vacuum pump thinking that was the culprit but I was wrong. I suspect this may be a death sentence for the truck but I'm wondering if there is a cheaper alternative to spending $1800 on a transmission rebuild.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should follow the troubleshooting procedure in the tech manual. Vacuum is often the problem but there is much more Mmmto vacuum delivery than just swapping out a pump. Oh, by the way, if your tranny guy is going to pop you for $1800 to do a 400 turbo, shop for a new tranny guy.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bench price for a TH400 is about $400.

$1800 is on the high end. I just had a 4L60e redone for $1300. That was a removal, rebuild and reinstall.

Skinny

Buy a high pressure hydraulic gauge and do the proper checks as suggested. The TH400 is a big dumb transmission. If the governor or throttle pressures are spot on, you either have a sticky shift valve (easily fixable on the truck without too much experience), or clutch/brake issues (requiring full tear down, not to be done without knowledge). Either way the TH400 is pretty cheap to fix. I agree, that kind of money is rediculous. Time to shop around, go with recommendations an not on price point. A good rebuild is attention to detail and quality parts both of which cost money.

Sverige

Thanks, Gents. I sincerely appreciate the insight.

Skinny, how would clutch / brake issues cause the transmission I'm experiencing?

Thank you

Sverige

Update: Good news, gents. I had it diagnosed by a transmission shop and it only required a new vacuum pump regulator (and lines, which were dry rotted).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks