• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Transmission & Trans Case Vent Lines

NMC_EXP

Whereabouts should I be looking for the outlet/discharge ends of M1009 vent lines for the transmission and transfer case?

This info is not in any of the TMs so far as I can see.

Thanks

Jim

cucvrus

The transmission vent is a small BRITTLE plastic hose on the top of the bell housing flange. Don't touch it. It will break unless you just had the transmission out and replaced it. The transfer case vent is also on top of the transfer case. It is a black rubber hose with a capped vent on top. It is on the passengers side. These vehicles were only made to go thru 16" on water. This is off the top of my head info. Give or take an inch or 2 but that is stock and memory speaking.

Drock

The transfer case vent is a metal 90 degree tube coming out of the top of the tail shaft housing flange, with a 2" piece of rubber hose and a plastic check valve.

Last edited:

NMC_EXP

cucvrus & Drock

Thanks for the reply. I made the assumption the vents had extension tubes routed up higher somewhere.

Found the transmission vent - just a small diameter plastic tube 2 to 3 inches long with no hose or valve.

Did not see anything on the t-case. Need to look again.

cucvrus

You will want to look closely for the vent. I have seen several that the small metal pipe is missing and the transfer case is wide open to the elements. The pipe is a barb steel tube that is only swedged in place. If it comes loose it is going to have to be JB welded or epoxied back in place in the aluminum transfer case. I have seen this more then once. And I hate to tell you this but to properly repair that you are going to have to remove the transfer case. It is an easy job. The tube is a special part but you can epoxy any correct sized barbed fitting in the hose and seal it and add a piece of hose and mount the top of the hose where ever you would like. You will need a small vent. Make one out of a metal valve stem and just loosen the core till you find a correct one. I have one if you need one I can send it to you.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks