• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Trip Report (MPG)

ssdvc

Just thought I would post about the mpg I got during my recent trip.

Truck is mechanically stock, with the exception of a set of BFG's in 32x11.50x15's, pumped up to 45 psi cold.

Covered 890 miles over 4 days, CT to MD and back again, with two days of running around in the burbs (stop and go) in MD. Hauled a single axle trailer down from CT, loaded lightly with a washer and dryer on her. Also hauled that W&D to another location in MD the next day (stop and go).

On the way back to CT, I again hauled the trailer behind me, this time loaded with a 900# Drill/mill machine, a 400# support cabinet, an old school engine hoist (and am guessing 300# or better) and a few other odds and ends.

After I did the math (took me a while:???:), the mileage came out to just over 16.3 mpg. I don't think that is bad at all, considering the loads both down and back.

camogriz

That mileage sounds amazing to me, considering the loads you were hauling. I can't seem to get better than 15.5 mpg in my M1009 not towing anything. I use the 200 mile one way trip from NY to Rausch Creek in PA for the semi-annual rallies to get the figure. I have the same size BFG tires (mud terrain km2's) and run 40psi for the trip.

mikev

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I average a shade over 16 mpg running stock tires and 75-80 mph empty and 11-14.5 mpg pulling my MEP 003A - again running 70-80 mph.

Those getting 21 mpg must be driving 55 mph or less with a "feather-foot" on the throttle...

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My speedo reads ten MPH faster than I'm going, and waves at me the whole time it's doing it, so I have no idea what my actual mileage is. :mad:

ssdvc

I avg 64 mph during the trip, and monitored my speed via GPS, as my speedo has always been off a bit (tires didn't make a difference). For some reason during this last trip, both up down and back at about the halfway point, the speedo needle decided to just jump around all over the place. I couldn't tell how fast I was going unless I dropped down under 50 mph. On the back to CT, the speedo just decided to peg, not giving any speed reading. Yesterday it worked fine, although it's always been off a bit, usually 5-10 mph.

ssdvc

Oh, and I normally avg about 18-20 mpg and got 22.5 on a trip once (but I was empty and no trailer, 65 mph).

Vhyle

I'm pretty light on the throttle in my 09. I get about 18-20 around town. The truck hasn't gone on a long drive yet (since I've had it at least) but I'd like to see what it does on the highway. I'm running on 33x10.50 General Grabbers; truck is stock otherwise.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks