• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 turning over slow

REDWOLF

So drove my blazer home Friday night, no issues. Got up Saturday morning to go to work slow turning over but got it started. got to work shut it off and started it right back up. No problems. Truck sat for eight hours until I left to go home, slow to turn over again but started. Truck sat all rest of the day Saturday and all day Sunday. got in this morning to leave for work, turned the key on and waited for the glow plug light to go out. noticed that the Gen 2 light was dimer than the Gen 1 light, never notice this before. Truck turned over even slower this time but finally started. Batteries are about 7 years maybe more old, will check the date code when I get time today and it stops raining. What battery does Gen 2 control? front or back?

thanks for any help

Barrman

GEN 2 is the back battery. However, normal battery life is around 3-4 years. Consider yourself fortunate and get a new set before you burn up the starter motor through the under volt condition you are forcing it to work in.

cucvrus

Agree. Get the batteries load tested. And as a rule I replace batteries in pairs. Do as you wish. that is my rule. The weaker battery will always feed off the stronger one.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
7+ years?!

Like mentioned, your way past normal, useful battery life.
Forget about testing them. Their done.
Replace both at same time.

Drive on.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
7+ years?!

Like mentioned, your way past normal, useful battery life.
Forget about testing them. Their done.
Replace both at same time.

Drive on.
Well, I recently replaced four batteries because three of them went bad. They were installed in '99, and aren't the oldest ones still in use.
I would check all wiring and connections, and load test the batteries, before spending money on new ones.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it was in a tractor,etc. sure, but I wouldn't risk getting stranded knowing I'm way past the normal life of a vehicle battery.
Its just not worth the risk.

I just installed two new red top optima battery's in my GMC duramax.
Old optima set was installed 6 years ago and I could hear it cranking just a bit slower.
They still tested good, but I knew their reliability was coming to an end.
New set really cranks it so much faster.
I still have old set on a maintenance charge ready for the tractors, etc.

Some parts I will push to get my money's worth, but on a vehicle with my family inside? Never!

Barrman

Thanks to you posting this today, I have to buy a set myself. RED cranked slow for Colton this morning. 4.5 year old O'Reilly's group 31's. He is taking RED to start college next week. I don't want to risk him getting stranded with no 24 volt slave source nearby.

I will take the old ones, run them through my fancy charger at work to get them topped off. Then put them on the Gasser M35. That OA331 with like 6.5:1 compression only needs about 200 amps to turn like crazy. It is where all my old batteries go for semi retirement.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it was in a tractor,etc. sure, but I wouldn't risk getting stranded knowing I'm way past the normal life of a vehicle battery.
How did you know that they were in a tractor?!? In a Peterbilt, to be specific.
Of course, many would call it a "semi truck" (which makes no sense whatsoever), but it is indeed a tractor.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks