• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 U-joints & seal, bushing too?

jaymcb

My new-to-me M1009 has a driveline vibration and transfer case leak which led me to verify failed driveshaft u-joints, and it looks like the last owner drove with bad the bad u-joints for a while, which took out the seal on the transfer case.

I guess the question is, if I'm swapping the joints and the seal, my wayback machine mind tells me there might be a bushing in the transfer case as well. Should I swap out that as well while it is apart?

Also, any recommendations on parts? GM? NAPA? AutoZone? someone else?

Don't like the idea of ChiCom steel in my CUCV if I can avoid it.....

Anubis8472

Well the U-joints are GM 3R series, though every parts store and manufacturer want's to only use thier own part numbers and application list.

I wouldn't bother with the local parts stores if you want a quality U-joint.
They simply don't carry them any more, after spending a weekend driving around town I went ahead and picked up a cheap set. I'll have to order some better ones down the line.

I've snapped both front and rear joints on my '78 K-5, I would highly advise using sealed non-greasable joints. They are not cross drilled so the cross is stronger. I've seen spicer 3R series sealed for around $30 a peice.

I'm pretty sure the T-case uses a bearing set (not a bushing) but I'm not sure how much you would have to tear into it to change. It could be a 'may as well rebuild it' proposition.
Check it for play, make a judgment on whether you think they're going. If it feels good, just replace the seal and keep an eye on it.

Check your pinion seal/bearing while you're there. The same issue can cause them to leak/fail as well.

jaymcb

The auto parts store says there is a bushing and seal kit for the '208 transfer case.

Anyone ever pull one? They wanted over 100 bucks for a slide hammer kit to pull it out.

For the $, it makes more sense to pay someone to change it :(

I've got the shaft off, about to go and change the u-joints.

idM1028

I'd say do it yourself. If you pay someone, they always want more to do it. Firestone wanted to charge me something like $800 or $900 to do a coolant flush and put new shocks on the truck.:shock: And they had JUST THE BEST REASONING! Said it was because of "the age of the vehicle." I'd say go ahead and just do it yourself. Nothing wrong with a little CUCV love. As far as U-joints, if mine ever go out, greaseable 1410's here we come!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks