• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 upgrades

iluvbudwsr

Well, after my last discussion on here about the 4x4 transfer case not being lit up for lighting I decided to do some more lighting upgrades. I replaced all my dash lights (fuel gauge,speedometer, and volt gauge...ect) with sylvania high intensity bulbs. WHAT a differene it made. They are'nt as bright as you would think. They are about as bright as the lights in my Honda Accord and with the reostat I can adjust them as needed. I highly recomend this to anyone. Before doing this I could barely see my gauges at night on full. Its a pain taking apart the dash and all the screws but the results will supprise you. Now my next fix is the dang fuel pump whitch has been acting up. It just rolled over to 72,000 miles so its almost time. I just hope it will get me through for the next few weeks!:cookoo:

Psywarrior

How did you light up the transfer case selector? I have been thinking about it and considered just mounting a light under the dash that would illuminate the lower interior. Of course, I am doing all of this "Planning" off the top of my head since I won't be getting one for a few more months yet.

joediveguy

How did you light up the transfer case selector? I have been thinking about it and considered just mounting a light under the dash that would illuminate the lower interior. Of course, I am doing all of this "Planning" off the top of my head since I won't be getting one for a few more months yet.
+1 :ditto:

Also Bud Lover, what are the part numbers you used for the dash? Thanks!

iluvbudwsr

@ Psyops; I haven't gotten to the transfer case lighting YET but it's second on the list. I'm having issues with hard starts so I need to slip a new few pump in before I get to the lighting on the transfer case. The numbers you need for the gauge lights are Sylvania 168 silverstar high performance. They run around 8$ for a pack of 2. You will need two packs of these silverstars. These lights bulbs are for the gauge cluster only. When installing them add a touch of adhesive to them but don't let it get on the wires at ALL. You'll need Sylvania part number 53 for your volt meter light along with your "wait" light. These comes in packs of 2 and are around 4$. These are different from your speedo lights because these bulbs actually twist out. I would highly suggest a small divided tray when doing this dude to several different size screws. Hope this helps.

iluvbudwsr

Just to add to the discussion of putting a light in the transfer case, me personally would stay away from LEDs as they"ll be too bright. That's just my opinion because my 1009 is fully stock and at the time I think the military would have wanted to stay away from LEDs just because the lighting is more intense.most give off a blueish tint too. I'm thinking the Sylvania 53LL (which is the same bulb for the volt meter) would be perfect). Like I said, I'll come up with something in a few weeks after I get my fuel pump issue taken care of. I priced a new fuel pump at auto zone for $26 and about dropped dead. I had a 1997 Z71 and it cost around 600$ to replace that one...lol

BobMassive

I just did my dash lights today and yes it's quite a difference. Especially since only one was working. My question is that aside from the three guage cluster lights, one for wait and water, and one for the volt guage, I found another bulb. Another 168 that was just hanging around near the blower control. Did you see this? Any idea what it's for?

mikev

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just did my dash lights today and yes it's quite a difference. Especially since only one was working. My question is that aside from the three guage cluster lights, one for wait and water, and one for the volt guage, I found another bulb. Another 168 that was just hanging around near the blower control. Did you see this? Any idea what it's for?
Should be the bulb that illuminates the HVAC controls from behind.

jdmdla

When I did that I had a bulb that fit in the back of the voltmeter.

iluvbudwsr

Dash light replacement

Guys, just a heads up. When I took everything apart I cleaned everything with Windex too. I'm not really into making vids but I will take pictures if I can. Half the fun of owning a CUCV is learning to work on it. They ate pretty simple trucks (or can be at times).
A previous poster gave me an idea though. The HVAC lights only purposes is to light the climate control. If that light is just hanging you could always get you some more wire and "tastefully" run it down to the transfer selector which would be extremely simple with alittle time and some soldering. Just a thought but it's doable! 8)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks