• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1009 vacuum lines

hemi348

Hey guys, I am a new to the whole MV scene.

I have a m1009 that shifts too late and too hard. I have read on this site that old and spongy vacuum lines are typically to blame for this problem. However since I am new to this vehicle, I dont know where the vacuum lines are even located. I have found the transmission cooler lines but cant seem to find the vacuum lines.

Where can I find them running from the tranny?
Where can I find them running from the engine compartment?

If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be fantastic, thanks guys.

dunedigger

there is a steel line on the passenger side on the side of the tranny. You will find a short piece of rubber line connecting it to the tranny. It typically goes bad there. I changed all of my hoses and still had the same late shift problem. Mine was corrected by adjusting the modulator on the side of the injector pump.

hemi348

there is a steel line on the passenger side on the side of the tranny. You will find a short piece of rubber line connecting it to the tranny. It typically goes bad there. I changed all of my hoses and still had the same late shift problem. Mine was corrected by adjusting the modulator on the side of the injector pump.
Is it a modulator or a regulator on the injector pump? Because I have heard it called both.

lavarok

The modulator is on the side of the transmission. The regulator is on the IP.

Page 46 of 9-2320-289-34P references the part as:

14057219 VALVE,VACUUM REGULA

Stock modulators do not allow adjustment. Most replacements will.
You can adjust the shift points at the modulator if it supports adjustment or the vacuum valve regulator.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take your air cleaner off and look on top of the engine, right side, there is one up there running from the front to the back and one short one. They are obvious when you look there. I had a similar problem to yours, replaced those top lines and all shift problems went away. Took 15 minutes and less than $6 in parts (I spent $6.23 and had a bunch of extra hose left over).

Cheers

Edit- looked closer at the second post diagram, those are the ones I was talking about, you may have found them already.

Last edited:
im having the same issue with late shifts. I plan on looking for the easy fix first, so later today I think ill pull the air cleaner and try to hunt down those lines, pull them off and take them into auto zone for correct size matching. Hope this works

tgtaylor64

I have the opposite problem, the M1009 shifts way to fast. I have replaced everything except the regulator valve on the IP due to cost, although, the vacuum pump was $125. Moving the valve in each direction makes no difference in shift points. Completely disconnecting the vacuum results in late shifts so more than likely the regulator valve is the issue.