• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 VIC12 Install

Sergeant1983

Just finished installing an RT524 using a AS3900/A instead of the AS1729 antenna. Although I have no way to actually check it out for functionality. I did try and transmit in low power with an AM radio within 6" from the antenna and it appears to be putting out power. Im thinking the antenna should be okay. Anyone use this antenna on the older RT524?
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:

eme411

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The RT-524 and the 1729 were designed to work together, the antenna base automatically tunes itself as you change the frec. on the set , that's that little motor inside clicking and when that dies the base can be tuned by use of the hand dial,

Sergeant1983

On our Hueys we used AN/ARC-131 and -54 FM radios. The tail FM radio antenna base had a remote cable connection like the 1729. One day we were replacing the antenna base with a new one that did not have the plug for changing the frequency to match the radio. When I back checked the data in the parts manual and talked to avionics, it turned out the the newer bases did not need the plug because they were designed to cover the full frequency range. I was hoping the 1729 and the 3900 were the same situation.

eme411

Steel Soldiers Supporter
the newer base should work but I have never tried one , the 1729 tunes too slowly to keep up with the Singars and Tics radio systems,

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks