• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 vs Civilian models?

bluprint

Hi everyone. I'm new to these forums. I have begun the process of looking for a K5 blazer. Currently I'm looking at both the M1009 and civilian models.

I'm not sure what constitutes "reasonable cost" yet. My goal is to have a K5 diesel in good functioning condition which can be used (by my wife) as a primary vehicle and could also double as a bug out vehicle.

Based on what I've seen so far my options are as follows:

1. Get a civy model for around 1500-3000 which will need to be mostly rebuilt, including a diesel.

2. Get a M1009 which might have decently functioning diesel/drive train but no creature comforts (A/C, power windows, comfortable seats). I can get one like that with good new tires for 5-6k right now.

What is the more reasonable approach? Can the M1009 be improved to be functional AND comfortable? Am I better off sticky with the civy models so I get the power and a/c controls to come with it or is it easier (possible?) to add that stuff in later?

Any guidance on this topic would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M1009 seats are pretty decent. I'd say that factory civy seats only benefit from the recline option. Mid 80s GM buckets that recline have recline hinges that will work on the M1009. Of all the other stuff you listed, the A/C is the only option of comfort. Power windows and such are just convenience (or inconvenience when they break). Adding functional A/C could be a stumbling block. Lots of work to retrofit a factory style system. Aftermarket systems are easier to install but the fan sounds like an L1011 taking off in the cabin. Even if you buy a civy unit, plan a big budget for A/C repair as 99% of them need a total rebuild.

richingalveston

cost the same to rebuild a civy as it does a 1009 when it comes to the basics. The civy has more to fix but it is easier to fix it than to add it.
I think the big key is your wife is going to be driving it. Get the civy with the comfort and noise control.
If you can get her to drive a stock 1009 then she is definitely a keeper but for your needs and to keep her happy, I would start with a civy unit.

MarcusOReallyus

There are only a few reasons I can think of to choose the M1009 over the civvy:

1. The cool factor. If you love military history, it's a done deal.
  2. No significant electronics to break. But then, in a mid-80s GM, there really isn't much on the civvy version.
  3. You find a steal of a deal on an M1009.
  4. All the manuals and technical assistance are right here, for free. Insults and general grief-giving included at the same low price. :mrgreen:

It's not an uber-rugged super-dooper GM on steroids with beefed up everything. The military version is the same truck with just a few minor variations from stock. 24v start, combat lights, weird bumpers, and shackles. That's about it. (The pickups have heavier suspension.)

Oh, yeah, and no AC or sound deadening.

If this is purely for utility, and comfort matters, get the civvy.

Last edited:

bluprint

Thanks for all the feedback.

I have been leaning toward the civilian models except for the fact I consider Diesel to be a requirement. Most of the civy models that started out as diesel seem to be modified to a gasoline engine.

Still it sounds like it will be easier to fit a diesel and good suspension into a civilian model than fit comfort into a mil spec.

Thanks again.

orrisd4

i dont mean to hi-jack this thread , but as far as im seeing the civy and mil pickups are more or less identical . would it be all that difficult to take a civilian 87 chevy pickup stuff a mil engine , the cucv bumper, and paint it green,same truck more or less or am i missing something?

Keith_J

The only gasoline engine converted to diesel would be the Olds 350. Those are all but extinct. The 379 GM diesel is a Detroit Diesel, only sharing the bell housing bolt pattern and engine mounts of the GM.
In the 1009, the engine differs from a civy in that it is a heavy duty J code, lacking exhaust gas recirculation. They carry a national defense exemption for emissions sticker for this reason, the rest of the CUCV line don't need this exemption due to weight class.

It would be far easier to add air conditioning than swap engine and transmission.

Last edited:

MarcusOReallyus

i dont mean to hi-jack this thread , but as far as im seeing the civy and mil pickups are more or less identical . would it be all that difficult to take a civilian 87 chevy pickup stuff a mil engine , the cucv bumper, and paint it green,same truck more or less or am i missing something?
It's been done. There are a few threads around here on that.

There are some other minor differences, but if you want the look, pretty much replace the bumpers and paint it.

bluprint

Does anyone have a ballpark on what it would cost to add A/C to mil spec? I could probably do a lot of the work myself.

At the end of the day, the final objective is the same: Build a highly-reliable, highly-capable, safe and comfortable vehicle.

I'm just evaluating which is the best way to get there:

1. Start with a mil spec, at least I get the diesel but need to add comforts.

2. Start with civy get the comforts (to be repaired maybe) but probably wont have diesel.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with Recovry4x4. A diesel Suburban is the way to go. Also easier to find than a diesel blazer.

To add A/C to a non-a/c truck will run you about $1300. There are a few write-ups covering installs by fellow members. Not the easiest task to install.

Last edited: