• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 VS M1008 Bed Rail Strength

Hey all. To those of you that have been around both the M1008 and M1009 can anyone vouch their opinion on whether the Blazer's bed rail strength is as good as the pickup? If one were to mount a ladder rack or some other bed rail utility item, can it hold as much as on a pickup? Some of those racks boast being able to hold hundreds of lb, some over 1000 (obviously that's a lot for a blazer, but still...)

Last edited:

Drock

Well I'm not an expert on the Blazer platform, but sense the rails are shorter and capable of holding that heavy fiberglass top. I would imagine they're at least AS strong as the pickup. If you buy a rack built specifically for the Blazer I'm sure it'll be fine.

cucvrus

001.jpgWhen I bought a few M1009's at a local union crane site sale they were stacked 3 high. The bottom one had a crack in the roof from the weight. All 3 had no wheels and tires and were sold as scrap. But I was able to use all the tubs and the only roof that was not useable was the bottom one. I would say the side rails are as tough or tougher then the M1008 with the short span and the roof structure being so tough on the cab part. You could add a bit of strength with a piece put between the rails and the rear cover. But keep in mind the rear door openings are not as tough as they were 30 years ago. I have had several change dimensions while wheeling and the gate pop on one side under flex. I added the gussets to terminus m1009 to help add strength to the rear gate opening. Easy bolt on and off. No major change. Used the stock rear frame bolts and the rail to bolt onto. On Terminus I welded everything in place. DSCF3332 (1).jpgIf You removed the rail bolts and put longer ones in. You could bolt a piece of angle up under the rail inside to add strength. Easy bolt on and could be removed anytime you wanted to. Or NOT. Just an idea. I am constantly thinking.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks