• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Wait Light Inoperative First Key On?

90Jimmy

I did search the forum and review the TM before posting this question. The temps in my area are starting to dip in the mornings requiring glow plug operation. I have noticed the past several first starts of the day that when I turn the key to the ON position all the correct lights light up with the exception if the WAIT LIGHT. Me being a highly skilled operator who knows the glow plugs should be functioning in the cold turn the key back to OFF position and then back to the ON position, the WAIT LIGHT illuminates and everything functions as designed. So basically the first time I turn the key on in the morning I get no wait light I have to turn they key on a second time. This is an issue if anyone else operates the vehicle, so I would like to get it resolved. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

usabamaman

I just finished bypassing the Glow Plug card controller. Before doing this I checked every thing very carefully, so from reading the posts here and using a test light, long wires with alligator clips and a digital multi-meter I was able to check most of the functions of the system. Do you have these items and know how to use them?

90Jimmy

I just finished bypassing the Glow Plug card controller. Before doing this I checked every thing very carefully, so from reading the posts here and using a test light, long wires with alligator clips and a digital multi-meter I was able to check most of the functions of the system. Do you have these items and know how to use them?
Yes to both Sir.

usabamaman

To check the glow plug relay attach one alligator clip with wire to the bottom post of the glow plug relay, it should have two orange wires on it. Attach the other end with clip to the probe on the test light, and the clip on the test light to ground, use the alternator bracket edge and scrape it with the teeth on the clip to get a clean ground. Place the light on the fender where you can see it from the doorway of the vehicle. While standing in the doorway turn the key to half position, count the seconds the light is on. Tell me what you find. I am standing by.

90Jimmy

I've had the truck running....so right now the WAIT light comes on every time I I turn the key to run. To answer your question right now the light stays on for about 2 seconds, mirroring the Wait light. This seems to be a first use of the day issue, today when I turned the key the first time I had no light, I had no voltage to glow plugs. I can't figure out why its just a one time issue?

usabamaman

I ended up eliminating every thing but the controller card under the dash, so by process of elimination I figured it must be that. After studying hundreds of posts here for days I finally tackled bypassing the card with a push button switch. It worked great the first time I used it. The only really complicated thing on this vehicle is that card with all it's electronics. I wanted it bypassed years ago when I bought it, because I knew it would be only a matter of time until it became a problem. I suspect that the card or maybe a loose wire or poor ground may be your problem. I would remove the wires on the relay first and gently sand the wire ends and reattach. Are you open to doing a bypass with a push button switch?

90Jimmy

I ended up eliminating every thing but the controller card under the dash, so by process of elimination I figured it must be that. After studying hundreds of posts here for days I finally tackled bypassing the card with a push button switch. It worked great the first time I used it. The only really complicated thing on this vehicle is that card with all it's electronics. I wanted it bypassed years ago when I bought it, because I knew it would be only a matter of time until it became a problem. I suspect that the card or maybe a loose wire or poor ground may be your problem. I would remove the wires on the relay first and gently sand the wire ends and reattach. Are you open to doing a bypass with a push button switch?
I did all the usual cleaning connections and testing the things I could think of that relate to the issue described. I got into the TM but couldn't find a similar issue to the one I'm experiencing. Thanks for the assistance, its greatly appreciated. I do no intend to alter the stock configuration. I have found it to be "mostly" reliable and have good luck referencing the TM's for repairs and maintenance. I'm sure its yet another obscure hard to reach connection that needs to be cleaned up and reassembled. well..as sure as I can be

Matt5

Banned
Ya after 35 years the truck has a issue... time to re engineer it lol...

I see a few trucks in your pictures, can you do some swaptronics and swap out the GP card? Could be a cap or something going bad first key on charges it, second key on allows the card to function.

Sometimes if you have parts laying around, already did some testing and it is easy... I like to just try a swap.

Also to me at the moment it is the only thing I can think of... I'd do a GP card swap if it is easy and free.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks