• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009: Water leaking into cab

I_Publius

Well...I thought I'd be brave and take mine for a car wash through one of those automated wash places. She did pretty good, except I know now that I am going to replace all rubber, as is preached here on the forum... :)

One area that I'm concerned about is that while driving it through the wash, a great deal of water came through on the driver's side firewall area. I looked at the grommets and it seems all were there, but the water was pouring in from somewhere. Any ideas as to where I should be looking?

One thread I read mentioned removing the cowl and looking under there for open areas to the firewall. Will that be easily seen if I open that area up?

Another thread mentioned the air vent area near the passenger and driver's door area. I think I will have to replace the seals on those, as well since there was water coming in there.

Thanks!

Hasdrubal

I'm just working on my leak. Its from the pinch weld where the windshield rubber sits on. A little bit of rust starts here and allows a gap where water goes over the edge. Had water coming from both side corners. About 20 small rust spots found. Cleaning up the rust and will put some silicone in the rubber channel this time.

Ilikemtb999

Mine is gets water in it from various areas depending on the angle of rain :cry:

My passenger foot vent leaks sometimes, the corners of my top all leak and my tailgate window leaks. Weatherstripping is so expensive and seems to be a gamble on fitment with most. 1aauto seems to be the cheapest for most stuff and seems to have an overall positive review on their kits. They sponsor over on one of the k5 forums.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought water leaking in was a design feature on these trucks, like maybe so the soldiers wouldn't get thirsty.

lmcdncn

I'm having a similar issue. Every time it rains I get a puddle on the driver's side floor. I see that this must have caused the rust on the floor on mine.

Hasdrubal do you have some pictures you can share on how did the repair?

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keeping water out of the cab is a PITA. I had rain running all along the front floorboards. I spent $350 to have the windshield replaced, with the hope that my floorboards would remain dry during a thunderstorm. It helped, but didn't solve the problem. My father-in-law redesigned the way water runs out of the driver and passenger side cowl drains. We removed the hood, both fenders, both hood hinges, and the cowl. He cut an access panel in the fender wall. He pop riveted strips of galvanized steel inside the inner fender wall, which redirected the flow of water to the lower drain hole. He also plugged up holes in the cowl under the hinges so the water flows only down the main drain holes. We also resealed the body seams inside the cowl box with one tube of white RV windshield caulk.

The engineers at GM that designed the water drainage system for these trucks didn't think through what happens when leaves clog narrow cowl drainage channels, which causes water to run in through the driver and passenger side kick panels. :mad:

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks