• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 - What is the Max combined towing weight

mvdude

Hi all... I am a new user on steelsoldiers and I currently own a WWII Dodge WC4 weapons carrier. Well, I have driven the old girl up to 160 miles one way to an MVPA event, but I don't like to drive her that far, so I am thinking about a tow vehicle. Primarily an M1008 / M1028 pickup, or an M1009 blazer. I know the pickups are rated to pull around 10000 lbs, which will suit me, as the WC4 and a trailer should be around 7000 lbs total. But does anyone know what the max towing cappacity of an M1009 blazer is ?
I know the pickups have 4.56 gearing and I think the blazers are 3.08, so the 3.08 would be nice, but, can an M1009 consistently, safely and without breaking / wearing out over time, pull 7000 lbs ?. The trips hauling the WC4 would be typically under 300 miles round trip, probably 6 times a year max. Other than that, whatever I buy won't get much use.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Bob S. MVPA # 3986

MILRET45

I tow much less weight than your intention with my 1009 and find the 3.08 gearing looses it pretty quick on hills, etc. On the other hand the truck will cruise nicely at 65-70 with no trailer.

I've had a couple 1008's and they will handle the load you describe but you run out of top speed due to the high numerical gearing. I would stay with the pickup if you have to pull that much. Move it up to a taller tire to gain some top speed and lower rpms.

mvdude

Hey guys, I read your replies and read the links. Thanks for the help. The Blazer just isn;t strong enough or safe enough, so it looks like I will be hunting for an M1028... Thanks to all.

mangus580

Your biggest problem with the 1009 will be the 3.08 gears. Your second biggest is braking an the short wheelbase.

With a set of 3.73 or 4.10 gears, and EXCELLENT trailer brakes, terrain depending, you could probably do it. Alot of people towed heavy campers with civvy blazers through the 80's & 90's without much issue.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks