• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 wheels/rims - pulling my hair out

Mods please move this if it's too commercial.

I need to find a proper wheel rim for the spare on my M1009. I've searched high and low through the local junkyards. If I find something with the proper number of bolts, it's got the wrong size center. If I find the right center, it's got too many/too few bolt holes. What I currently have fits, but only barely, and I don't like having to drive on it. I'm getting new tires as soon as the tax refund comes in.

So, does anyone out there have a spare rim they'd care to trade for a few portraits of Andrew Jackson? Or recommend a retailer, preferably online?

Will swing by the next time I'm up there, thanks.

Though if those are the same rally wheels I've encountered before, the center is a bit too large, which makes me nervous. And the cutouts look... stupid. But they might be different.

OLDCHEV4X4

The center being too big dosent really matter. I've run 8 lug Ford wheels on my chevy, (center too big), with no problems. The chevy 6 lug ralleys dont match, and will probley be silver, but they are 15 x 8 x 6lug and thats what you need. Just paint it green.:-D

Randy

hobie237

www.car-part.com should allow you to search the junkyards pretty well.

That said, as long as the bolt pattern is correct, and the center fits, it's not the end of the world if it's too large, at least not for a spare. You wouldn't want to drive too long with a lugcentric setup, especially when it's easy enough to get some manner of centering ring (or just make one), but for a spare that you're just riding on to get you home or whatever, it really doesn't matter. I'm sure there are plenty of people that are riding around with lugcentric setups for miles and miles without issue, too, but it's not worth it to me to take the chance for a permanent setup.

mangus580

The center being too big dosent really matter. I've run 8 lug Ford wheels on my chevy, (center too big), with no problems. The chevy 6 lug ralleys dont match, and will probley be silver, but they are 15 x 8 x 6lug and thats what you need. Just paint it green.:-D

Randy
I have the 6 lug Rally Rims on my 1009... they fit just fine.

I am surprised you are having such a hard time finding probably the most common 4x4 rim out there! Are you looking for a complete set? You can buy any number of aftermarket style wheels at numerous places online.

Bobert

Are you talking about this?
Hub Centric vs. Lug Centric
Definition: A wheel that is centered or located on the hub by a machined center hole-as opposed to "lug centered" wheels that are located by the position of the lug nuts alone.​
I don't know if you need to find an exact fit on a blazer. Some cars it makes a difference though.​

hobie237

More or less, yeah. Lugcentric setups put extra stress on the lugs. This is obviously more and more important with less and less lugs to spread the strain, and I don't know how much it matters on these trucks. Like I said, though, it's easy enough to make up some centering rings and call it a day. Or just forget about it. That works, too. :D

Are you talking about this?
Hub Centric vs. Lug Centric
Definition: A wheel that is centered or located on the hub by a machined center hole-as opposed to "lug centered" wheels that are located by the position of the lug nuts alone.​
I don't know if you need to find an exact fit on a blazer. Some cars it makes a difference though.​
The one I've got doesn't exactly fit the hub at the center. Hence I only use it for the spare, and try not to drive too hard for too many miles on it. It's functional but it sticks out like a sore thumb.

I have the 6 lug Rally Rims on my 1009... they fit just fine.

I am surprised you are having such a hard time finding probably the most common 4x4 rim out there! Are you looking for a complete set? You can buy any number of aftermarket style wheels at numerous places online.
I think part of the problem is I'm trying to stay as close to OEM as possible; I can't stand the thought of something flashy on a CUCV.

It looks like if I want a rim to match the four I've got, it's going to have to come off another CUCV.

HAWKMAN

Mods please move this if it's too commercial.

I need to find a proper wheel rim for the spare on my M1009. I've searched high and low through the local junkyards. If I find something with the proper number of bolts, it's got the wrong size center. If I find the right center, it's got too many/too few bolt holes. What I currently have fits, but only barely, and I don't like having to drive on it. I'm getting new tires as soon as the tax refund comes in.

So, does anyone out there have a spare rim they'd care to trade for a few portraits of Andrew Jackson? Or recommend a retailer, preferably online?
If you can't find one closer to home or cheaper I can do a correct M-1009 rim,right off blazer, $50.00 shipped to your door. PM me if interested:-D

Michael

I was told by several local tire and junk people that a plain chev wheel as wide as a M1009 was really rare. Almost all civi chev trucks that came out with that wide a wheel had rally wheels. The rally wheels fit just fine, I have a set on one of my trucks just to get it off the ground, but it doesn't look exactly right even without the crome trim rings.

chevydoug5B

Hi, I am looking for a correct spare for my m1009. Do you still have any rims left that are the correct rim for the 1009. I live in Bainbridge GA. If you do, how much? Thanks

kennyw

I was told by several local tire and junk people that a plain chev wheel as wide as a M1009 was really rare. Almost all civi chev trucks that came out with that wide a wheel had rally wheels. The rally wheels fit just fine, I have a set on one of my trucks just to get it off the ground, but it doesn't look exactly right even without the crome trim rings.
This is correct. The ralley wheels have the same dimensions as the CUCV M1009 stock steel wheels, but obviously look different. If you painted them OD green or flat black they would probably look good on there. Otherwise it is best to look for a wheel off of an M1009 specifically if you want to keep the original look.